Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wrecked the drz400... hardcore.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrecked the drz400... hardcore.

I'd look into either a Grizzly or a Prairie 700. They've got tons of torque and are a bit sportier handling. I sold my Prairie 650 & got a Brute 750 because I preferred the feel of it. The brutes got more power but isn't as easy to zip around on. Go sit on the machines you're considering and get the one that 'feels' rights to you.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Range Rover

ya man... im sellin the DRZ400.... its not a Z400... in case you just didnt know or made a typo or w/e... but it is a bike.. not an atv.. and yes im selin it.. ive like... 4k in it. and i just want 2700 out of it to pay mom and dad what i owe them... im even negotiable on that if anyone is interested. because i HAVE to sell this thing... before i die on it. anyways whats the prarie like? ive not done much research into this one.. does it have power or what? another thing is i need suspension travel... i dont want something thats gonna bottom out a lot or anything.. i dont plan on jumping anything but maybe ditches or logs that i find in the woods.... but i need something with some good suspension onit. thanks a lot guys for the info... tell me more on the prarie vs the brute... whats the main diffs between them?

Old 08-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

The MAIN difference is the prairie 700 has a solid rear axle and the Brute 750 has independent rear suspension. The brute is going to have a bit more power, but both have tons of it. Sounds like you'd be happiest on the Prairie, its the sportier of the 2 but these are 600lb quads, if you do much jumping they will all bottom out. I think the prairie's sold rear axle would be more durable and it slides MUCH easier. If you get either, get an aftermarket module. It really unleashes the torque.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Fahq
Yamaha is coming out with that sport 4x4. It is in this months DirtWheels.
Really??? What page??? and what is it??

Old 08-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to say but for a 120lb rider I would stay around the 350-400cc ute class. The bigger quads are very tough to manuver through tight trails when you can only counter balance 1/4 of the weight of the quad with your weight. Im 200 lbs and the DS will be the largest quad I ever own at 500 lbs. Counterbalancing 600-700 pound quads like the 600-750cc class is going to be more than you want and I think you will be disapointed when you cant take a tight turn without keeping all 4 tires on the gound. The grizz and BF will lift the back inside tire around tight turns if you dont have the weight to counterbalance them. I've rode a yamaha bruin 350, kodiak 450, and grizz and the grizz would be the last choice. Esp after trying to get one out of the mud, if you dont have a winch your going to be working at it quite a bit to get it out. The 350 and 450s are alot better to get out of the mud. My roomate has a 350 bruin, its cheap and has alot of torque and get up, it seems to always have power in the powerband no matter what speed your going. Im sure the 450 is even better than the 350.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

rldbobcat good call, I missed his weight when I skimmed over the post. I agree a Kodiak or maybe even a Vinson would be much better suited for ya. I had a Kodiak 400 & it had a little zip to it. Also look into the updated Wolverine -- its basically the ex version of the Kodiak with a solid rear axle.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

well heres the good and bad news.... went to the the local dealer... just out of curiosity wanted to see how much per month a new BF650 would cost me... well... the bad news is that because im only 18... i cant get it.... no credit... so no quad.... so im back to square one. the good news is that ive figured out what i have to do to get credit and i should be able to get the loan in about 6 months.. so untill then i guess i save for a downpayment?!?! also.. on the weight of the bikes.... ya... im 120lb... but i mean... hell, i muscled the drz400 through the woods... its a 400lb bike. and thats on 2 wheels instead of 4. i really do like the kodiak 450s. but i figure im gonna miss the power of the bigger bikes. i donno what im gonna do yet... im still thinking... i would like to have one of the bigger ones.. because its like... that way i can haul 2 people no prob... and pull or push whatever i want to. but the 450 kodiak should have a good bit of power to it. i may check into that one. its a good bit cheaper as well... so id save a shipload of money on the deal. anyways i keep ya'll posted. but since some of you guys must really love answering questions lol.... how does the 450 compare to other mid class 4x4s? whats the best mid sized atv on the marked? *not a fan of the eiger btw* thanks guys... later.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondaboy101
well heres the good and bad news.... went to the the local dealer... just out of curiosity wanted to see how much per month a new BF650 would cost me... well... the bad news is that because im only 18... i cant get it.... no credit... so no quad.... so im back to square one. the good news is that ive figured out what i have to do to get credit and i should be able to get the loan in about 6 months.. so untill then i guess i save for a downpayment?!?! also.. on the weight of the bikes.... ya... im 120lb... but i mean... hell, i muscled the drz400 through the woods... its a 400lb bike. and thats on 2 wheels instead of 4. i really do like the kodiak 450s. but i figure im gonna miss the power of the bigger bikes. i donno what im gonna do yet... im still thinking... i would like to have one of the bigger ones.. because its like... that way i can haul 2 people no prob... and pull or push whatever i want to. but the 450 kodiak should have a good bit of power to it. i may check into that one. its a good bit cheaper as well... so id save a shipload of money on the deal. anyways i keep ya'll posted. but since some of you guys must really love answering questions lol.... how does the 450 compare to other mid class 4x4s? whats the best mid sized atv on the marked? *not a fan of the eiger btw* thanks guys... later.
if your worried about power because you want to ride to with more than one person on your quad dont be because my friend has a bayu300 and we have pile up to 6 kids on that thing and it still moved granted it didnt turn worth a dam and i have also ridden a bruin350 those things have some power i would look into that or the kodiak