Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 700R "First Test Result"

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 700R "First Test Result"

Originally posted by: TheKingOfDunes
I want to know who was riding the banshee when you went Stock vs Stock with it.Cause the banshee will killa rappy at accel.not at top end but accel.
A Banshee may be a dragracers choice but they are usually far from stock. Stock, a 660 might take it. A 700 will.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:10 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna throw my thoughts in here just for the fun of it. My buddy got a 700r 2 weeks ago and we went to Pismo for Labor Day. He put a Two Bros pipe on it and Sand Star paddles. My 450r has a slip-on, no lid, jetted, geared down in front and I also was running Sand Stars. He's 172(yes I asked) and I'm 160. We raced at the flats on Sat. (when it was groomed) 4 times and each time it was the same. He would leave me out of the hole(darn 1st gear starts) and I'd catch him in second and we would be either sise by side or he'd have me by maybe a length at the end(don't know the exact length but I would hit 4th just before the end). We are equal riders or he may be a little better if anything. I even rode his in the dunes and yes it's very nice but didn't feel any more powerful then my 450. I'm sure top end he'd probably leave me but in 300' it's real close.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HappaRap
Originally posted by: RaptorRandy27
Is this 700 of yours stock? If so, your results seem a bit off. Also, this engine doesn't even come close to feeling like a 2 stroke, it's prolly the furthest from it. Raptors make all their power in the midrange and they have a VERY broad powerband completly opposite of a 2 stroke...it's a torque monster!
I have to agree 100%
When we meet up at Florence I want to run up the hill against that Craycraft, just to say I've raced one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I want to see your 700R race up against a modded YFZ, BigDaddy and Maggiesboy come in at about 565 lbs, I wonder if RoostItUp is gonna come in alittle lighter?

I'm tippin the scales at 150 lbs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] lol I'm prolly the gonna be the lightest person there huh? 500 lbs total...that shavin 65 lbs from the lightest rider, thats alot of slim fast till Florence! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ya never know though, these hamburgers might catch up to me and I might gain some weight...lol

06rap700r Once you get on the new 700 and get off and get on a 2-stroke, the new fuel injection gives it a pull from bottom to top of the powerband and fells like a 2-strokes powerband.. Argue with that if you want. Until you ride 1 don't diss what you don't know
My g/f owns a 700r, so I have gotten a chance to ride it quite a bit. My family also owns a couple modded Banshees to compare to. Also, if you didn't read my sig, I have a built 686 Rappy to also compare it to which also has nothing close to a 2 stroke powerband. They don't have a powerband like a 2 stroke AT ALL...I really don't know where your getting this from? The Rappy makes all of it's HP in the lower RPM's with a much more broad and smooth power output, this what 4 strokes are known for, especially the big bore engines like the Raptor. The Banshee makes most of it's HP in a much later and tighter portion of the RPM range that rises much sharper than a 4 strokes curve, giving it that 2 stroke snap. If you want a 2 stroke powerband from a 4 stroke try riding a cam modded YFZ, thats prolly the closest your gonna get and still you can easily tell your on a 4 stroke.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

150 lbs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Holy sheep dip we got ourselves a flyweight jockey[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'll have to bring a chunk of lead to bolt on your quad to even it out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You should be the man to beat at florence, you'll definitley be the lightest quad/rider combo there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

It seems there are quite a few raptor connossieurs on this thread. Which makes it a good place to ask the question that I'm about to:
My raptor needs a rebuild, bottom and top. I'm thinking about going Craycraft, but price is an issue for me. Are there different stages to Craycraft builds? I want something reliable that I can run in trails, on mx and in the sand. But I don't want to go totally nuts. I just want a good, reliable upgrade to my motor. Is craycraft above my head, or can I get a good re-freshening of the ole motor for under $2,K? And how 'bout some contact info? thanx

Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Air
Pro Rider

IMO I would sell the 02 and upgrade to the 700. By the time you spend the extra cash for the engine mods you will be close to the same price, without the reliability.
I have seen quite a few Raptor build have issues within a year.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Air
IMO I would sell the 02 and upgrade to the 700. By the time you spend the extra cash for the engine mods you will be close to the same price, without the reliability.
I have seen quite a few Raptor build have issues within a year.
New raptor - 7k + tax
Old raptor worth - 3500 provided it runs and doesnt need immediate repair (4k with all of the AM parts included.

3000-3500 dollars difference...

That would leave enough money for a great build and leave you with more power and plenty of reliability.

To upgrade raptor149's atv:
600 for new rod and installation
200 for piston and bore job
300 for cam and springs
400 for head porting
Add a few more bucks to have it all assembled if you dont do most yourself.
Thats 1500 for a reliable, well built motor that will outrun a bolt on Raptor 700. Still 1500-2k cheaper than selling and buying new with a stronger, faster, and reliable bike.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:16 AM
Air
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: AirIMO I would sell the 02 and upgrade to the 700. By the time you spend the extra cash for the engine mods you will be close to the same price, without the reliability.I have seen quite a few Raptor build have issues within a year.
New raptor - 7k + taxOld raptor worth - 3500 provided it runs and doesnt need immediate repair (4k with all of the AM parts included.3000-3500 dollars difference...That would leave enough money for a great build and leave you with more power and plenty of reliability.To upgrade raptor149's atv:600 for new rod and installation200 for piston and bore job300 for cam and springs400 for head portingAdd a few more bucks to have it all assembled if you dont do most yourself.Thats 1500 for a reliable, well built motor that will outrun a bolt on Raptor 700. Still 1500-2k cheaper than selling and buying new with a stronger, faster, and reliable bike.
Your Right.

I was thinking in a diffrent line. $500 fo axle, 650 for a swingarm, 600 for a-arms, 1000 for shocks. on top of just the engine mods.
engine work turns the raptor a Known wheelie machine into a wheelie monster.

JMO
Nothing is perfect for everyone.
You asked for opinions about a 660 upgrade on a ride test thread about 700s you might get a few varying opinions

Old 09-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Okay,
So for all you 700 owners. Check my page for pics and a list of upgrades to my machine. Suspension wise, my quad is probably easily as good as or better than the 700R. Particularly up front, and especially in the rear (triplerates and dualrates, swingarm, etc.). My seat height is only about an inch higher than a YFZ. I'm also wider than the new 700R. So I am a little hesitant to throw all this away for a payment that I don't currently have, when it would be cheaper just to fix the problem. However, give me your opinions if you think my machine isn't worth upgrading after you check it out. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Air, I checked out raptor149's upgrades beforehand (I needed to know what internals he needed). If it was a piped bike with a set of yfz shocks or something I would have said the better handling 700 would be a better choice. But because he's already sunk 3k or so into suspension modifications and most wont bolt up to the new bike I figured he'd be better of with an upgrade and not a new machine.

Quick Reply: Raptor 700R "First Test Result"