Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 700R "First Test Result"

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 700R "First Test Result"

My first glace at a 700R at Florence was up the face dragging a slightly modded YFZ. After a few races, the stock 700R took the YFZ, but barely.

I've taken the liberty of calling the usual manufacturers on performance parts availability for the new 700R. Here is a list of what I have found so far ....

1) Mod Quad - They already made tons of billet aluminum parts for the 700R: Axle Nuts, Timing Chain Cover, Tie Rods, and the list goes on.

2) LRD - They already have a slip on exhaust. They are the first that I know of. They have a full exhaust in the works and will be available in 2-3 weeks.

3) Duncan Racing - They are about 2-3 weeks out on thier signature front bumper and Fat Boy 4 Exhaust.

4) Vortex - They developing an electronic ignition system for the 700R. I dont know the details, but would be curious to see how that one plays out considering the fuel injection computer already in the 700R.

5) PRM - They already have a full line of front bumpers (much better than that stock plastic thing), and rear grab bars - even a six pack rack! LOL

6) Web Camshafts - They are planning something, they admit it will be totally different, but do have something in the works too. Probably 4-6 weeks out.

Thats what I hear so far -

Old 09-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Air
Pro Rider

Your right i should have looked. Me Bad, But 1 point i tried to make is almost all my friends who have upped the performance of their engines are haveing a few reliability problems.
broken timing chains, starter sprags, excessive vibration, cams constantly out of adjustment, compounding the hard to jet tempramental carbs problems. They seem to be great for a 10-20 degree temp change then fall off in performance.go up 1500 ft and they need to be jetted again. Maybe it is just a problem at our altitude, but the carbs on the 660s are Pieces o sxxx IMO.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was kind of a special circumstance, not just a normal guy with bolt ons asking for advice. Its very true that there can be serious issues with a modified 660, heck even stock ones have all sorts of problems. But if you do it well the first time you shouldnt need to do it again but that takes a little more money. The carbs are a PITA but they do flow well for most mildly modified engines. The EFI on the 700 is undoubtably an upgrade and IMO a more important one than the suspension changes. (I get used to bad handling). I am curious to see how much the 44mm of the EFI does on modified applications or if it needs to be replaced. Except for circumstances like raptor149's or for those who want to build a big hp machine right away I'd definately say the 700 is the way to go. After watching it in action I've even recommended it to a few others.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Well,
thanks for the opinions guys, I appreciate them. I want to make it clear that I am not necessarily looking to go to a 686, just a fresh top-end, maybe a cam, and to cure my tranny woes. I believe that this way I won't sacrifice any more reliability than I already have. I just basically want to freshen up the entire motor, but through someone reliable who knows what they are doing. Does Craycraft Racing do non-insane motor builds?

Old 09-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 06Rap700R
Before i bought my 700R i looked for Test Results on it, and couldn't find anything. You guys can reply to this thread as freely as you want, this is my honest opinion, and nothing MORE.. From the ground up the New 06 is awesome. It is lower than the older 660 which handles alot better and not as tipsy on the top, it doesn't raise up unwantedly as the 660 did, but if you know how to ride you can make this machine aim towards the stars in 4th gear. In a drag race it is an awesome machine. Yamaha "Claims" that the new Raptor 700R is the fastest "stock" ATV on the market today.... I will admit that fact also, once i got it broke in i called a few friends and wanted to find out if this is actually true.... I raced 3 of the fastest ATVs out there today, in stock trim, and not stock trim.. First is the one that most everybody wants to know about.. 700R vs Banshee.. from the line at take off the 700R ate the Shee alive, sorry 2-stroke and banshee fans but in stoke trim the shee doesn't stand a chance... Its farely close at the finish line at 300ft drag, on hard packed dirt, the 700R had about a 6 quad length lead... 2nd race is a Kawi KFX700. NO COMP, the 700R has a faster take off and pulls harder than any ATV i ever ridin.. And last was a Pred 500 with LTE pipe, same thing, ate it alive... Alot of people want the top speed of the 700R, on a 1/4th mile straight away slight up hill, next to my wifes Nissan. Top speed is 80mph on the dot. So this is my opinion, if you need any info on making a purchase desicion i will give you my opinion on it, you have to make your own chose..
What about the o6 yfz. Does any one have an opinion who will be in the front, the rappy or the yz?

Old 09-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

the rappy fa sho

Old 09-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Raptor149
Well,
thanks for the opinions guys, I appreciate them. I want to make it clear that I am not necessarily looking to go to a 686, just a fresh top-end, maybe a cam, and to cure my tranny woes. I believe that this way I won't sacrifice any more reliability than I already have. I just basically want to freshen up the entire motor, but through someone reliable who knows what they are doing. Does Craycraft Racing do non-insane motor builds?
As the owner of a stock bore 11:1 with 2 hones I agree on not going to a 686. I'd say just bore it out as much as the cylinder needs, if at all, then hone and throw in the smallest piston that fits. If you're still on stock bore with stock piston and have run it rough you might have to bump up to 666cc (100.5mm piston), but you can get ten over rings for a stock bore 100mm piston. If you stick with a mild build and porting you may be able to stick with the stock rod. I went for a little more on the head and cam so I replaced the rod because of the hp I'd be putting out, not the piston size or compession.

Craycraft, kenz, madracing, and many others will do a mild build up for you. Just give a few shops a call and explain what you want and they'll let you know what they think you need and about how much it will cost. Of the top half dozen builders I've contacted I've always been treated well and given lots of help and info.

Its too bad the 700 didnt come out last year before my engine upgrades, I'd probably have one in the garage instead.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

thanks maddogg. exactly what I was looking for.

though the 700R is tempting, I can't justify throwing everything else away, like my shocks, axle, arms, swingarm, clutch, radiator, etc. etc. I don't know, though. Maybe I should just buy a YFZ. These raptors weigh too much for my tastes.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptor149
thanks maddogg. exactly what I was looking for.

though the 700R is tempting, I can't justify throwing everything else away, like my shocks, axle, arms, swingarm, clutch, radiator, etc. etc. I don't know, though. Maybe I should just buy a YFZ. These raptors weigh too much for my tastes.
I agree. Although some people think that 50 lbs. isn't even noticable, I can tell a big difference. After riding my YFZ than my Rappy (and vice versa), I can tell that it's much harder to manuver the Rapter cause of the weight and larger size. It's possible to remove and/or replace alot of parts on your 660 to help slim it down, but even if you did that I would think that just the larger size of the Rappy would sill make it harder to manuver as quickly as the YFZ...IMO.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

I know this may seem odd, but the race I would like to see is a showroom stock Raptor 700 EFI vs the BRP 800 V-twin EFI. I know they are totaly different types of quads but they also both seem to be claiming to be the fastest stock producion quads out. I am thinking that would make for a good drag race to see. Since they are different class machines I am sure the raggs will never put them up against each other. Bu ti hope to see them race sometime.