Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Proper torque of Grizzly lug nuts, original wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper torque of Grizzly lug nuts, original wheels

Hello:

Tonight I put on new CV Axel protectors on my Grizzly 660, front and rear. I had to remove the rear wheels in order to mount the rear protectors. Before I went to put the rear wheels back on, I checked the owners manual (I have a 2005 Grizzly 660) for proper lug nut torque. These are the original wheels and tires, although Wednesday I'm having new ones put on (27" ITP XTR with 14" C series type 7).

The owners manual listed 55Nm as the proper torque. I thought...that seems pretty tight, ironically I put on my bicycle crank arms to that same number so I know how tight it is. So I mounted the wheel, hand tightened the lug nuts, then used a 1/2 17mm socket to begin tightening, in a criss cross pattern. Then I set my torque wrench (I own one of those Craftsman digi torque where you set the poundage/Nm's with a *** at the bottom of the handle) to 25 Nm to start to work my way up. Well I'm tightening and tightening and the wrench never clicks. So I switch to the nut in the 6 o'clock position, ...then I notice that with the first nut, I can no longer see any of the tapering that fits inside the lug nut hole on the rim. I had opened up the hole on the rim from my wrenching where as the tapering disappered. The front wheels have the tapering visible on all 8 lug nuts. So I just tightened the rest with my standard socket wrench.

I noticed when I took them off they they were not all that tight. What did I do wrong? Did I misread the owners manual?

Thanks,

Nightwing