Two stroke good:
more power
neat sounding engine

Two stroke bad:
mixing gas and oil (not a big deal)

Old 09-15-2005 | 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 2 stroke or 4 stroke??

two stroke good - fun when it hits the powerband, good high revving power and revs quicker than 4 stroke, rebuilds easier and less expensive
two stroke bad - not much low end power, oil mixing a pain in **** and adds to price of refueling, have to keep motor revved up to stay in powerband - whick sucks in technical trails,

4 stroke good - even powerband from idle all the way to top end - no surprises, usually more comfortable and easy to ride, sound cool, don't foul spark plugs like 2 strokes tend to do, better for technical trails and slow trail riding
4 stroke bad- not as much top end power as a 2 stroke, rebuilds cost more, more things to go wrong

Old 09-15-2005 | 09:37 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

They each have their pros and cons. 2 strokes are lighter and make more power per cc than a 4 stroke can, and are much easier and cheaper to work on. 4 strokes are heavier, but with new technology they have gotten much lighter and make good power. But still must be twice the engine size to beat a 2 stroke. Both can be tuned to make what ever kind of power you want. And if jetted correctly 2 strokes wont foul plugs, it also depends on what oil you use. I do have to run a 30/70 mix of 100 octane/92 octane to keep the 2 strokes from pinging but the 4 strokes run fine on 92 octane. And most of my 4 strokes would probubly run fine on 87 octane.

Old 09-15-2005 | 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hey mywifesquad, how hard is it to get parts for that bultaco.....................Bultaco, there's a name I haven't heard in 20 years.

Old 09-16-2005 | 12:00 AM
Range Rover

2-strokes
good: more power per cc, lighter, cheaper to rebuild
bad: mixing gas and oil, more frequent engine rebuilds, more frequent sparkplug changes, more sensative to temperature changes (jetting)

4-strokes:
good: more low-end torque, wider powerband, better fuel economy, better durability
bad: heavier, more expensive to rebuild

As far as which sounds better, thats more personal preference. Personally, I prefer the low, rumbling exhaust note of a 4-stroke to the whiney, high-pitched rattle of a 2-stroke, but thats just my preference.
Cap'n

Old 09-16-2005 | 06:36 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: midnite
Hey mywifesquad, how hard is it to get parts for that bultaco.....................Bultaco, there's a name I haven't heard in 20 years.
I have never tried to buy anything for it. I got it as a bonus about 7 yrs ago. It is 95% complete and origional. Its only missing the side panels and the air filter. It is set up for flat track and has Dunlop K71's with 2 races on them. It siezed up in its 2nd race and was rebuilt and never ridden again. It is very cool and I have never even started it up. Still even has the origional paper thin fiberglass fenders, one small ding in the down pipe. The tank is faded and the seat is cracked a little but still really fun to look at.

Old 09-16-2005 | 06:44 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

If jetted properly 2 strokes dont foul plugs. The last time I fouled a plug in a 2 stroke was about 12 yrs ago when Torco changed the formula for GP-7 2 stroke oil and didnt change the bottle. Then about a month later they changed the bottle and went back to the old formula.

2 strokes can make plenty of low end power. The majority of trials motorcycles are 2 stroke. And my CR 500 with a 28 oz fly wheel weight makes more torque than any one could ever need.

Old 09-16-2005 | 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Truthfully

2 stroke good: more power, smaller size, simple design, much easier to modifiy, more bang per buck, lighter.
2 stroke bad: worse gas mileage, mission critical jetting, more emissions, non dedicated oiling system for crank

4 stroke good: good mileage, more user friendly tuning, less likely to pop with bad tuning
4 stroke bad: heavy, expensive, less power per cc, complicated with lots of things to go wrong

2 strokes dont have less torque. They just have more hp per CC so the manufactuers put tiny two strokes in place of big fourstrokes that make the same hp but less torque. For equal engine sizes the two stroke is NOT going to have less torqe unless it was tuned to have less. Why do they use tiny two stroke engines? back to the horrible gas mileage and emissions. Plus the weight savings. Besides, they dont trust you with a 100hp fourwheeler (What a 700 two stroke would be).

Old 09-16-2005 | 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

2 strokes have got no damn torque compared to a 4 stroke...no matter the displacement...how many 2 stroke cemis do u see driving around?

Quick Reply: 2 stroke or 4 stroke??