Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor versus ds650

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor versus ds650

I was thinking about possibly buying one or the other, but I don't really know much about the ds.This might be the wrong forum to ask this, but I figured it can't hurt.

1-Which one is more reliable?

2-Which one is faster w/ moderate mods(pipe,filter,jets,stage2 cam,porting)or just piped?

3-Which one has better stock suspension for dunes/whoops?

4-Which one has a better powerband/which one likes to rev more?

5-Which one is more comfy on long rides?

Old 09-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Range Rover

Are you adding to the stable or getting rid of one?

Old 09-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mawcus, Theres alot of topics on this. Try a search and you will find several in the Yamaha and Bombardier forums.

Both have there advantages.

My Ds has proven its reliablitly through 3 1/2 seasons of me riding the crap out of it. The only problems I've had is the electric fan and a broken chain.

As for faster. To many variables to take into account. Stock for stock the Ds has been labeled the fastest 4stroke in every Magazine.

The Ds suspension is very forgiving because of its long travel.

The Ds is real wide and very confortable on long rides. Go set on one you feel like your on a 4x4.

The downsides to the Ds. No reverse, on tight trails its width becomes a problem, the weight of it is noticeable if your jumping it. But you probably wont notice any of this coming from the V-force.

Old 09-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

1-Which one is more reliable? raptor

2-Which one is faster w/ moderate mods(pipe,filter,jets,stage2 cam,porting)or just piped? raptor

3-Which one has better stock suspension for dunes/whoops? raptor

4-Which one has a better powerband/which one likes to rev more? raptor

5-Which one is more comfy on long rides? raptor

Old 09-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

1-Which one is more reliable? Most would HONESTLY have to answer DS to reliable. The new 700 (686) Raptor is too young to comment on.

2-Which one is faster w/ moderate mods(pipe,filter,jets,stage2 cam,porting)or just piped? I'm sure you can hear quite a few opinions on this. They both respond well to mods.

3-Which one has better stock suspension for dunes/whoops? I'm pretty sure most would answer DS to this one.

4-Which one has a better powerband/which one likes to rev more? The DS likes to rev and I think the Raptor may have a little more low end grunt.

5-Which one is more comfy on long rides? I'ld think most would tell you the DS will be the quad you can ride longer and feel less sore at the end of the day/week.

Better questions. . .

A. What kind of riding do you do? Desert / Dunes the DS is tough to beat. Tracks / trails I'ld think you may be happier with the Raptor.
B. How big are you? If you are over 6' tall and/or 170# the DS will probably feel much more comfortable for you. If you are 5'5 and 135 you may have a tough time if you ever have to turn around the DS manually due to no reverse.
C. Are you looking to buy new? If not are you looking at a unit a few years old? I would suggest staying away from a 2001 model Raptor as there are some that experienced tranny issues. If you are looking to buy new the EFI of the Raptor 700 may apeal to you. You may decide to wait a year to see if there are any issues with the new EFI.

Obviously posts like SikRaptor700's are ones you want to avoid listening to. Idiots like this are not the ones you want to be taking advice from.

Old 09-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Im not a idiot, sounds like you are for making that comment, and it sounds like your biased just like me towards the raptor

1-Which one is more reliable? raptor, I have 15 hrs on my 700 and i have beat the sh*t out of it and no probs at all, did first service, no wear at all, this is a awesome bike, and easier to tune then any carbed machine

2-Which one is faster w/ moderate mods(pipe,filter,jets,stage2 cam,porting)or just piped? raptor, with efi again easier to tune and get the most out of mods in all rpm ranges, and stock to stock the new raptor is the fasted out, and i will race any one to prove it and with mods that are coming out for the 700 its gonna be badass, check out trinity's site.

3-Which one has better stock suspension for dunes/whoops? raptor, the raptor has very plush suspension, handles the bumps very well, i have ridden all day on it and felt good not sore at all, you cant say this for a yfz, not sure on the ds never ridden one all day.

4-Which one has a better powerband/which one likes to rev more? raptor, for the majority of the ways people ride this has a great powerband

5-Which one is more comfy on long rides? raptor- refer to #3

Old 09-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Range Rover

One thing is for sure, the raptor looks better than the ds-650

Old 09-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

I am pretty sure he is asking about the 660 bud....

1.I have heard the the raptor is more realiable than the ds in many cases, but it all depends on where you ride, the bikes environment determines how the bike is going to act and respond to certain things, but you all knew that....I hope...

2.The raptor responds a hell of a alot better to mods than a ds.The reason for this is that a ds is race ready out of the box, the raptor on the other hand is not.If the raptor was made race ready, it would have been the fastest stock four stroke on the market.But yamaha just cant put extra effort in like that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

3.The raptor is supposed to have a race bred suspension but i truly think the ds would have the better plush suspension over the 660.

4.The raptor does have a real nice powerband through all gears.It is nice and snappy and pulls very hard.The ds has a rev limiter than kicks in way to quick for it to show its true force.

5.Ds wins this category by a bit.Its long travel suspension and width of it all adds up to a nice ride.

Old 09-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MDS2106
Are you adding to the stable or getting rid of one?
I'm actually thinking about selling the v and buying something in the $3g range and fixing it up from there.
I'm not looking for anything brand new, so I'm really reeferin to the 660.The rappie does look a little better,I guess,but if I want to look good,I'll just ride the banshee.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

1-ds. How soon people forget, raptor tranny, and connecting rod failures anyone????????????? 2-ds. How many sand dragster 660r have you seen.................................3 ds. Long travel and high quality...................................4- depends what you are looking for. ds- weak bottom, strong mid---------- 660r more power on bottom, less everywhere else compared to ds..........................................5 ds, easily the most comfortable atv ever made........................... Anyway the ds weighs more, and the raptor even though tippy is more nimble than ds. The 660r probily looks better, but thats just opinion. I'd rather ride one than look at one anyway.

Quick Reply: Raptor versus ds650