Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with my Raptor 660R

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my Raptor 660R

Hey Folks, I just bought this 2002 660R. It was suppose to have low hours on it. It has an FNF exhaust with jetted carbs and a K&N filter. It rode beautifully for the first 4 hours. Then I went to start it the next day and it starts fine, but when I give it throttle it misfires and loses power. I checked the oil resovoir and it was way way low, below empty. The guy I bought it from says that he just changed the oil before he sold it to me, and that it might have just settled into the engine and the resovoir was low. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Spark Plug? I couldnt even find the plug on the Raptor. PLEASE HELP!

THANKS!!!

ROB

Old 10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you have the parking brake on because that will prevent it from reving.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you can barely feel the break when its on and it activates the rev limiter. Also were you in reverse by any chance while it was doing such because reverse is the same way. There is gas in the quad, with the fuel on and the choke off. Just some small things that could have been overlooked because you were ready to ride.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: soup
Did you have the parking brake on because that will prevent it from reving.
Not only the parking brake, but check the choke position that you didn't move it also. The spark plug is in the very front, under the gas tank, towards the top of the motor. It has a cable going to it.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Its an easy fix
first its either "limiting" because of a bad connection at the reverse switch(by the shifter)
or the parking switch is sticky(on the handlebars)
as for the oil bieng low you must warm the raptor to operating temp before checking it...the levev will appear low if the bike has set

Old 10-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Folks, thanks alot for the help!!!! As a matter of fact the last time I rode the Raptor and parked it, I did turn on the parking brake. However, I released it when I went to ride it again. Is there a "special" way to release it if it is sticky or something? Also, the oil level was checked after it was warm. I will try it again once I get the rev problem identified. I cant wait to get back on my ride!! Let me know if you have any suggestions on the parking brake.

THANKS!!!!

ROB

Old 10-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptor02Rider
Let me know if you have any suggestions on the parking brake. THANKS!!!!ROB
Take it off.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider

Youd be better off, because its just a matter of time before it stops working. Been there.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

Just about the first thing everyone takes off the quad is the parking break. You'll need to buy a block-off plate that goes where the brake cable attaches to the rear break. It's been a while since I did it, but you have to reconnect the wires at the handle bar. Someone else will have to say exactly what to do with the wires. However I did it, I couldn't start it in gear. Someone told me it was because of the way I connected the wires.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Folks,

THANKS FOR THE HELP! Does anyone have a link, or know where I can find instructions to remove the parking brake?

THANKS!

Quick Reply: Help with my Raptor 660R