Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

AV gas VS. Octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AV gas VS. Octane booster

And yes I have used it on a dyno and does not pull the same power as 91 because the burn rate is slower it is made for a low rpm hi torque motor

Old 11-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

There are some good points brought up here.

As I have already stated:

1) My 250R is running extremely high compression
2) I cannot run pump fuel or it will blow the motor
3) I will NOT pay 5+ dollars a gallon to run race fuel
4) My motor builder (Dave Moore) has used it for years and also recommended it to me for my motor
5) It has a shelf life FARRRRRR longer than pump fuel
6) It is more consistent than pump fuel
7) IMO it also BURNS cleaner than pump fuel
8) I have used it for YEARS without any problems whatsoever

Now, if you have stock compression (like I do on my YFZ 450), then there is no major need to run Av-Gas.
I do not run it in my Banshee or YFZ 450 though I have toyed with the idea, and may try it out in the future (in the YFZ450).

Old 11-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Range Rover

Buy 120 octane race gas and mix it with 92 and you will have 106 with some lead in it and and if you pay 5 for race gas and 3 for 92 this means you get 106 for 4 $ a gallon and AV gas is only 100 octane and it probably cost you about 3.50 to 4.00 a gallon so you will realy get a better deal buying and mixing your own And build more power with the mixed gas than the AV gas The trick is buy the highest octane you can and then cut it Also it looks like it burns cleaner because it burns longer so in turn it does burn some of the carbon out but adds heat to the motor and we all know what heat does

Old 11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: boat
Buy 120 octane race gas and mix it with 92 and you will have 106 with some lead in it and and if you pay 5 for race gas and 3 for 92 this means you get 106 for 4 $ a gallon and AV gas is only 100 octane and it probably cost you about 3.50 to 4.00 a gallon so you will realy get a better deal buying and mixing your own And build more power with the mixed gas than the AV gas The trick is buy the highest octane you can and then cut it Also it looks like it burns cleaner because it burns longer so in turn it does burn some of the carbon out but adds heat to the motor and we all know what heat does
1) If you think you can calculate what octane you are getting by mixing race fuel with pump fuel you are sadly mistaken.
2) If you mix pump fuel with race fuel you are putting crappy fuel in with a good race fuel. Doesn't make sense on my level anyway.
3) You are assuming I would get more power with a pump fuel race fuel mix.
4) My motor does not run hotter with Av-Gas. Proper jetting ensures that you are not running too lean or hot.
5) Av-gas is classified as 100 octane, but it acts as though it is a higher octane. Dave moore purposely kept bumping up the compression to try to blow one of his motors on Av-Gas (clear up to 270 PSI), just to see how far he could push it, and it would not blow. Try that with 100 octane race fuel.

I am done here. You can argue till you are blue in the face.
Perhaps what you say is true in theory, but in real life it is not that way. Otherwise my motors would have blown up long ago (as would others I know who use and have used it for years).
Glad I tried out what my motor builder suggested instead of listening to others theories.

He has more time working on and building motors than I would accrue in three lifetimes. Why should I doubt him? Especially when I have run it for years with zero problems???

Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

BTW, I never said Av-Gas was BETTER than race fuel.
I said it was cheaper (I will not pay 5+ dollars for race fuel) and does the job. (keeps my high compression motor from detonating).
I also said it is not necessary unless you run higher than stock compression.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Read the Fcking FAQ Here

You can mix fuels and average the octane rating if the octane is derived using the same method. IE (R+m)/2

Old 11-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
Read the Fcking FAQ Here

You can mix fuels and average the octane rating if the octane is derived using the same method. IE (R+m)/2
According to this guy, it is not a linear relationship.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/ric...ech_part1.html

Old 11-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 2fun
Originally posted by: boat
1) If you think you can calculate what octane you are getting by mixing race fuel with pump fuel you are sadly mistaken.
2) If you mix pump fuel with race fuel you are putting crappy fuel in with a good race fuel. Doesn't make sense on my level anyway.
3) You are assuming I would get more power with a pump fuel race fuel mix.
4) My motor does not run hotter with Av-Gas. Proper jetting ensures that you are not running too lean or hot.
5) Av-gas is classified as 100 octane, but it acts as though it is a higher octane. Dave moore purposely kept bumping up the compression to try to blow one of his motors on Av-Gas (clear up to 270 PSI), just to see how far he could push it, and it would not blow. Try that with 100 octane race fuel.

I am done here. You can argue till you are blue in the face.
Perhaps what you say is true in theory, but in real life it is not that way. Otherwise my motors would have blown up long ago (as would others I know who use and have used it for years).
Glad I tried out what my motor builder suggested instead of listening to others theories.

He has more time working on and building motors than I would accrue in three lifetimes. Why should I doubt him? Especially when I have run it for years with zero problems???
1 yes you can mix fuels and pump gas is a little better then you give credit
2 you will get more power and this has been proven on dynos because of the slow burn rate which you might be on a slow burn rate maybe you dont get this one
3 the sloowweerr buurrnn raattee builds more heat because the flame burns longer so why dont you test this and go put your hands in a fire one of them for 2 seconds and the other for 4 seconds and then go to UC Davis and have them explain it to you So how long and air fuel ratio did he run this motor and what type of loads did he put on this motor Also did he take the same motor and run it on race gas and see the power readings on a dyno I dont think so
4 if av gas was the answer every magizine you read would tell you to run it and every engine builder would tell you to run it I dont think so
5 I have ran it also untill I learned some more about fuels and had full run of a dyno at any time I want in the shop we have