Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

AV gas VS. Octane booster

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AV gas VS. Octane booster

I have a 2006 raptor 700. I read a few days ago that running AV gas in it will not actually help it run any better. I am only able to get up to 91 octane for pump gas here in town not 93. So my question is should I run AV gas or use some of the lucas octane boost which adds 10pts, thus running a 101 octane? link to the lucas boost: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lucas...83669099QQrdZ1

What do you guys think????

Old 10-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

what does your owners manual say for octane rating?

if it says 93, use 93. if it says 91, use 91.

if your manual says 87, dont run 91 or 93, you'll lose power. Higher octane does not mean more power. if you want to know why, PM me.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer

quicksilver speaks the perfect truth.

let me add that aviation fuel is meant for aircraft not cars or quads or whatever.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

always run the lowest octane possible without overheating or detonating. The lower the octane the faster the burn the hotter the burn the more power you get, that is the most basic and simple way of puting it.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

do a search for av gas. There was a heated discussion about it a while back. Many good points on the pro's and con's. I personally wouldn't run it as it would more than likely void your warranty.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Aviation fuel has diiferent oxygen levels. should you run it in a atv you should figure altitude and your spark me personally i run super in all my quads besides my 400ex in that I run 111 Pink or 110 Sunoco it has some serious mods so it calls for high octane so I don't have detonatio0n and smoke my engine. If your Raptor is stock just run the super 90, 92 or 93. The super in Oregon is 92 I don' run regular because quads are performance machines and I feel that they should run super unleaded, especially when you run them hard most of the time. Octane booster is a not what you think if it says 11pts it is actually .11pts see say you gas is 92 octane it would bring it to 93.1 octane. hope this is helpful.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Sandrider503
Octane booster is a not what you think if it says 11pts it is actually .11pts see say you gas is 92 octane it would bring it to 93.1 octane. hope this is helpful.

That makes sense and I know that, but the lucas stuff claims to be diffrent "TESTED - Three times more boost than most other brands" Taken from thier website.

"This is a GUARANTEED octane bootst. Keep in mind when you read the back of the bottle at your local parts store 1 octane point is 1/10 of a number, so if you run 93 octane, and your octane booster increases your octane 3 points- congratulations, you are now running 93.3 octane!!! Lucas will boost your octane 3 numbers at least, depending on what size your tank is!!"

That is taken from the ebay auction link I listed above.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Ya I would Just buy race gas. Or go to ACE harware by a big thing of Tulene and start mixing your ration till you get it I didn't want to say anything at first but tulene is ther main ingrdient in octane boost it is just you standard paint thinner really inexpensive if you get the right ratio down you can make you own race out of it make sure to strain and use super unleaded im in the process of m,aking some kickass fuel just trying to figure ratios. Indy cars run on a mixture made up of pretty much tulene Im still doing the research when I have time.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

A 2006 Raptor 700 has a 9.2:1 Compression ratio. That's pretty low. Just run 87 pump fuel. Nothing else will make a difference in power. You won't detonate with 9.2:1.

By the way, tests in a variable compresion ratio engine have shown that octane boosters only add a point or two. Thats it. It's a rip off.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run whatever octane pump gas that my owners manual recommends, but I do add a minimum amount of Klotz Octane Booster http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=50. The biggest reason has nothing to do at all with boosting octane. Klotz contains an ester synthetic lubricant for the upper cylinder (not sure what Lucas has in this respect). This is what is missing if you are just running unleaded pump gas and probably AV gas (?). Second, if your machine doesn't get used for a while, Klotz contains fuel preservatives that are good for 1 year. And third, the slight boost in octane is a little insurance against detonation. This is particularly important in the 450's, where detonation is more problematic. I do agree however, that going way over your recommended octane is a waste and may hurt performance.

Quick Reply: AV gas VS. Octane booster