Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Information Request on Brakes and wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 1999 Kodiak. It has 2,400 Km on it. It seems that on my last ride, my left front brake pad kicked off. Upon fruther investigation when I got home, I found that the pad had indeed broke off and my rotor was lightly scored. My dealer says that 2,400 km on front pads is great, but I wasn't satisfied with that answer. When I took a second look I found a slight woble in the weel bearing. Could this woble have caused the pad to break? I have disasemble the Bearing housing and the bearing look in great shape. Exept that when I put it back on the shaft I can just bearly wiggle the shaft assembly in the housing. I can't seem the tighten the nut any harder to take away the wobling. It's only about a 1/8" woble at the wheel. Will changing the wheel bearing fix my problem? Im already into some big money with the pads for both sides at $105.00 and Rotor at $ 166.00 and new bearing assembly at $ 85.00. So you can see that I would be concerned about getting this right. ( Yes this is good old Canadian Pricing). I am a trail rider and most of my riding is done between 25 and 35 Km/H. It dosen't seem like I should have worn a bearing already?
• If I don't replace the rotor will I wreck the new pads?

Thank-you, to all who are able to offer advice
Sincerly
1999Kodiak
Ride Hard, Tread Lightly

Old 10-30-2000, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

I wouldnt worry about wrecking the new pads due to the rotor being a little scored they should seat themselves, try using a little emery paper to clean off any rough spots on the rotor. If you have 1/8 of an inch of runout at the wheel you will most likely ruin the new pads. check the other side if the other side has no run out then you definitley have a bearing or hub problem im not familiar with the bearing setup on the Kodiak, but if its setup like a wheel bearing on a car tightening it up should remove any runout. You say you tightened as much as possible and it still wobbles,sounds to me like the hub is bad or the wrong bearing is being used. I would imagine you purchased the bearing races when you got the new bearings, I hope you replaced them also. If you did not; do so!! I feel for you brother parts for these toys are real expensive. next time you need bearings do not go to a dealer look in the phone book, bearings are one item you can buy from a parts distributor for next to nothing. just give them the numbers off the bearing. There are currently only 3 companys in the world manufacturing bearings they should have cost you no more than 12 dollars for both sides including races. Hambone

Old 10-31-2000, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

Hambone
Thank-You for the Info. I got brave last night and used my random orbital sander on the rotor and smoothed out all the high spots. I think that it will have to do. I actually have not purchased the bearing yet so your hot tip is valuable. I forgot to mention that in the hub that houses the bearings, there is two sets of roller bearings and a spacer in between. When I put pressure on the bearings and roll the assmbly with my fingers I can feel some hesitation as they roll around. They feel very tight but don't roll perfectly smooth. So I think that the bearings are the source of my problem. I bought the Kodiak only 8 months ago brand new out of the box, so I would hope all the parts used are correct. Like you example of the wrong bearing being used. Slightly concerned about (races) not to sure what that is? Is that the rubber seals or the housing that holds the roller bearings ?

Once again thank-you for you help
1999Kodiak
Ride Hard / Tread Lightly

Old 10-31-2000, 10:26 AM
wgr
Trailblazer

You can purchase front wheel bearings from Royal Distributing at $10.00 each the seals from a Yamaha dealer at $10.00 each.Riding in water will promote early bearing failure.Check your knuckle to make sure the outside of the bearing race is a tight fit also the fit of the axle through the inside race of the bearing.

Old 10-31-2000, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

I had one of the wheel bearings actualy slide around in the hub on my wolverine---if you grabbed the tire from the top and shook it there was a clunking noise. After disassemble I noticed the bearing was not seated in the correct place in the hub, I could move it around by hand. I used a ***** punch and made atleast 100 pits oin the hub where the bearing was supposed to be, and before pressing it back in I loctited it---it has been fine for a year and many hard miles.

DOO800

Old 10-31-2000, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Bearings are bearings so buy them from a bearing supply store and save about 80% of the cost compared with a Yamaha dealer.Just bring in the old bearings with you to make sure you get the correct size.

Old 11-01-2000, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

are the wheel bearings on the kodiak sealed???