Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

carbon fiber skid plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber skid plate

does anyone have an idea on how good a carbon fiber skid plate would work againts an aluminum one?

even better a place that would sell parts for a 06 raptor 700

Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

try doing a Google search for a part that you may want,,,for example type in the Google search window "K&N pro air filter for 700R"

this is how i compiled my list,,,,then what i do is save the first one that has my part taking note of how much they are asking,if shipping is free or not,ect,ect,ect

then i continue on replacing that saved vendor when i find anouther with a better deal with that one,and just continue to do that until im satisfied i cant do any better

this way you find the online stores with the best rates,and deals,particular type of items (engine internals,tire's,body,bumpers,fancy extras,ect)and always have there address's on your puter,,,,after awhile you hardly have to do a search at all,because you have weeded all of the gougers already

Old 11-15-2005, 09:37 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally posted by: DWink
does anyone have an idea on how good a carbon fiber skid plate would work againts an aluminum one?

even better a place that would sell parts for a 06 raptor 700
Welcome to the forum DWink, Carbon fiber will not take the abuse that a aluminum skid plate will. The aluminum one will easily outlast the carbon fiber one especially if you ride rocks a lot.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbon fiber cracks and shatters if you look at it funny, aluminum is a much better choice. Although I dont believe you have the choice, there are no commercially manufactured atv skid plates made of carbon fiber that I am aware of.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:25 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: maddog56
Although I dont believe you have the choice, there are no commercially manufactured atv skid plates made of carbon fiber that I am aware of.
Fascinating maddog56. I,ve never looked for one, but I would have guessed that some one was making one.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I got into this discussion on another forum some time ago. I spent a good deal of time, as did others on the thread, looking for such a manufacturer and we came up empty. I believe there was a manufacturer of small parts like frame guards, caliper guards, etc but no skids that I could find.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:56 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: maddog56
I got into this discussion on another forum some time ago. I spent a good deal of time, as did others on the thread, looking for such a manufacturer and we came up empty. I believe there was a manufacturer of small parts like frame guards, caliper guards, etc but no skids that I could find.
Thanks Maddog56, I cant remember the name of the company that made the carbon fiber skid platethat is on my KTM, but it is laminated with a bunch of epoxy like resin and can really take a hit. Im still amazed that some one doesnt make one for a quad yet.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

i recall seeing an anouncement in the dirtwheels at carbon fiber skids, i dont remember what issue it was but my guess it was between august- october i think it was september not sure, but yes i saw them

Old 11-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

www.quadtech-atv.com lists a carbon fiber skid for a yfz 450. I know not what your looking for but just did a search and found. might give them a call

Old 11-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bberck
www.quadtech-atv.com lists a carbon fiber skid for a yfz 450. I know not what your looking for but just did a search and found. might give them a call
Well whaddya know. I guess it didnt help my search that at the time we were searching for raptor products. I wonder if this is a new thing or if I just missed it the first time around. I notice they dont have one of these for the honda or zukis. Thanks for the link.

I too have seen ads in dirtwheels, and even rockymountain sells CF stuff. But the only stuff I've seen were smaller parts, no large chassis or swingarm skids. The quadtech is the first one I've heard of.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber skid plate