Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please?

Elka's seem to be the most popular shocks out right now, mostly due to over-advertising though... I would suggest Ohlins if you have $$$ to pay for them.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Advice please?

For what you need, the basic Works AT Steelers would be enough for the front. Those run around 350 a pair, or 500 for the ones with reservoirs. They are custom built for your machine, riding type, and body weight. The stock rear shock might be good enough, but if it isn't you can have it re-valved by Works for about 250 I think, which will make it almost as good as an aftermarket shock, or you could buy the quadstar rear shock for around $500. There are a lot of suspension options, but Works shocks are the cheapest, and would exceed your demands. Actually, for only 3 feet of air the banshee's stock shocks might be good enough when they're adjusted stiff. The banshee will need pre-mixed gas.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Range Rover
Default Advice please?

well thanx again for all your help. I'm looking forward to getting my banshee. It's gonna be my 17th birthday present. I don't know if it'll be brand new but it'll definitely be newer than an '02. I allready got enough$$$$ to pay for the susupension, if i need it. about the only set back is the pre-mix, cuz i'll have to have a good gas supply on hand. that's a minor set back though, it'll be worth it. I'll just be happy to blow past my friends blaster. I can't wait to see the look on his face when i pull into his yard with it. He thinks i'm still getting a 400 ex or Z. He claims he can take one. either way, i think i can take his blaster cuz i'm a pretty good rider. I've ridden quite a few quads but nothin faster than his piped blaster. I think it's still pretty weak. I'll be ready for my banshee to blow exhaust in his face. but thanks again for all your help.

Old 11-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Range Rover
Default Advice please?

what are some things i can get to improve the low end power? I know i could get a boost bottle, but don't know too much about the banshee's engine setup. I'd have to wait till i get it to see what i can improve on it. but what are the best pipes, tires, reeds, pistons, etc. to get?

Old 11-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Advice please?

The Banshee will definitely blow past a Blaster! As far as upgrades, they are unlimited for a Banshee... the sky is the limit when upgrading a Banshee, if you have the wallet to do so [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. As far as pipes, my friend just got some Toomey t-5's on his banshee, they worked great but are a little loud. Tires really depend on the terrain you are riding on. You can never go wrong with wiseco pistons [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Range Rover
Default Advice please?

thanx, i was thinking about getting wiseco cuz i've got those on my bike right now. they're pretty good. Hows your yfz? does it move out pretty good? i was thinking about one of those too, but i like the 2 stroke sound. The 4 strokes sound pretty mean too when they're loud. Can your yfz keep up with a 'shee?

Old 11-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Advice please?

Well, in a ~200ft drag, I can stay ahead of my friends banshee by 1-4 lengths the whole time. On his banshee he has:

Toomey T-5's
Holeshot H-D's on the rear
boost bottle
K&N
rejetted

I wouldn't trade my YFZ for any other kind of quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Old 11-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Advice please?

yea it sucks if you have to out run the cops but if you no the trails then you can get away fast. i dont think that the hondas are to heavy. they wheelie pretty good and i have drivin one and i really like them. i think it would be a really good bike.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Range Rover
Default Advice please?

yeah, i can outrun the cops around here on my friends little honda trx 90. it's pretty easy. if you've got a helmet on, they can't prove it was you.
back to the 400 ex. they can wheelie pretty good huh? do they have the power to fly up some hills. They're pretty steep, but not long. they're good for getting enough speed then flying off them. could the 400 ex handle this?
can it blow away my friends blaster? how about an '86 quadracer 250? i just found out a guy around here has one of those things. lucky. it's bone stock though, and it looks a little on the rough side. I recently heard a 400 ex with an HMF pipe, i thought it sounded mean and loud, i thought it was sweet. i didn't get to ride it though.
i'm still thinking about the banshee, but i'll be riding alot outta town and i won't have any sources to get the mixed gas. I'd rather just get the z or the ex so i could pull up to a gas station and fill up now and then, but they gotta be a good, fast quad or else i don't want em.
what would accelerate faster? the banshee, Z, or ex?

Old 11-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Advice please?

Originally posted by: whosyodaddy
yeah, i can outrun the cops around here on my friends little honda trx 90. it's pretty easy. if you've got a helmet on, they can't prove it was you.
back to the 400 ex. they can wheelie pretty good huh? do they have the power to fly up some hills. They're pretty steep, but not long. they're good for getting enough speed then flying off them. could the 400 ex handle this?
can it blow away my friends blaster? how about an '86 quadracer 250? i just found out a guy around here has one of those things. lucky. it's bone stock though, and it looks a little on the rough side. I recently heard a 400 ex with an HMF pipe, i thought it sounded mean and loud, i thought it was sweet. i didn't get to ride it though.
i'm still thinking about the banshee, but i'll be riding alot outta town and i won't have any sources to get the mixed gas. I'd rather just get the z or the ex so i could pull up to a gas station and fill up now and then, but they gotta be a good, fast quad or else i don't want em.
what would accelerate faster? the banshee, Z, or ex?
If you want to have an easier time tuning and maintenceing your quad, the Banshee is out because it's a 2 stroke compared to the other two 4 strokes. Now, the Z400 or the 400EX. Josh, from the CVBz boys has a 400EX, and as you can see, been doing almost all of his great stunts on. The 400EX is a great quad for just playing around. On the other hand, the Z400 is just like the 400EX, but I think the Z400 is better. If you just compare the specifications of the Z400 and the 400EX, you'll see why. The Z400 is lighter, and has way more power. It is a DOHC compared to a SOHC, so the Z400 revs higher and faster than the 400EX. It is lighter in weight, which means you would be quicker, and you would have more control over it. It is liquid cooled compared to the 400EX's air cooled system. That is why I think you should think about getting the Z400 over the 400EX, expecially the Banshee. Oh, and the Z400 is 398cc compared to the 400EX's 397cc. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Hey, more bang for the buck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Advice please?