Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior cutting out

Okay guys, I know it's thanksgiving but I got a urgent question. Just put my warrior back together and got it running, sort of. When I re ran the wiring a wire conecting to the motor under the shifter was chewed threw so i rapped it in tape, I thought that would make it stop cutting out, cause it would cut out, but it would run fine if you could pull the clutch in before it died, so I thought the wire was the problem. Well, it's still cutting out, I don't know what it is. Here is some info, sometimes there is no spark on the plug, unless I pull the clutch in, and other times there is, and I did a lot of cleaning on the carb, so any help would be great, I don't know my initial thoughts were a bad jetting, but how would that explain the spark plug problem, maybe you guys will know?

P.S. Sorry for the long post but please read and any help would be great, going riding on Saturday.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Have you done any recent mods to it? You said you put it back together.....maybe a ground wire isnt tight? Maybe the wire that was bare was worn through enough to not supply propper current or ground?

The fact that pulling the clutch in making a difference tells me something is not quite right with the parking brake saftey. If the parking brake is in, the ignition is cut sometimes. Check out the wiring goin there.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think it has something to do with the chewed up wire, but i'm not completely sure. With that switch unhooked you have to pull the clutch to start the quad, even if it is in neutral. Check the wire and make sure that it isn't chewed all the way through, and that the contacts on the sensor and wire terminal are clean. There could be more than one problem causing this. Does it just die out randomly, or is there a pattern that causes it?

Old 11-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello, I had a warrior once and it sounds like the wire that is cut needs to be grounded to the chasis. It sounds like the wire is the reverse rev switch wich limits the rpm's the motor can rev and this is what happens when the wire is not grounded. I hope this helps I actually grounded this wire on my warrior which even when in reverse let the engine rev max rpm's even when it is in reverse. Hope this helps. Let us know

Old 11-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

Okay I checked the wire before taping it and it was good, only a couple of strands were ripped so I wrapped it with black electrical tape, by the way the wire was only carrying 8.5 volts, when the battery is registering 11.5 volts, maybe just loosing current somewhere? I tore it apart to powder coat all the parts and the powder is an insulator, so i had to grind off the powder for all the ground wires, so I'm almost 100% sure it can't be the grounding. Something else that I noticed that might be a part of the bigger problem is that the neutral light does not work when in nuetral, but the reverse light does, when I put it in reverse. If a wire isn't grounded good would it run and then if the ground came loose go off. By the way it's totally random when the motor kills, it's almost like it runs out of gas for a second, untill you pull in the clutch. And its not the parking brake, I have a block off plate.

Thanks for reading my long post, but trying to relay all the info I have to solve the problem.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

tomorrow i'll check and see what voltage my warrior registers at the neutral sensor

Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

I am having the same exact problem any ideas how to fix it?