Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 660 hop ups

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 660 hop ups

Hey guys, I'm new here.
I have a 2002 raptor 660 and I want to bring it up a notch. I mainly trail ride but I do like to open it up and drag race (plus little sahara isn't to far away)
I was thinking about getting a k&n airfilter, jet kit, complete exhaust, and a stage one cam. I want to be able to beat my buddies honda 450r (stock).
What do you think my top speed would be?
What exhuast would you suggest (I was thinking fmf or the dmc alien)
What would you do different?
p.s Do you think it would be okay to use synthic oil? I heard it was bad on cluthes.
Thanks

Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a good plan. Go with a Pro Flow K&N intake (or any billit plate K&N) cause the regular K&N for a Raptor is smaller and can't operate without the lid. Yes, go for a full exhaust. Most any of them are good but there is some difference in performance. I personally like the HMF. I like the Dynojet jet kit but you have to order bigger jets from DJ if your going to run without the lid. I had a Hotcam in my 400EX. It added a little power but made my engine tap louder. Don't know how it is on a Raptor. Synthetic oil made my clutch slip (on my 400EX) so I never considered it for my Raptor. With these mods you'll have a good running Raptor but if you get the jetting right even piped 450s will see your tail light.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

That's alsome. I am also making my raptor 3in wider in the front and 4in wider in the back. durablue elimanator and durablue wheel spacers on the front (1.5in). durablue told me that the wheel spacers would work fine (I;m not to sure about them)

Old 12-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Range Rover

That's alsome. I am also making my raptor 3in wider in the front and 4in wider in the back. durablue elimanator and durablue wheel spacers on the front (1.5in). durablue told me that the wheel spacers would work fine (I;m not to sure about them)

You would probably be better off saving your money for a arms. I had my wheels flipped, which is about the same as spacers. And the only thing i got out of it was bent tie rods and sore arms. But it is up to you, its only my opinion.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would not put wheel spacers on the front! It makes for avery rough ride. I allready made that mistake. Widening the rear only will make a huge improvement. If you want a set of spacers for the rear, I have the ones off my front. they are CRJ 1.5's per side. Used them only a few hours before I realized they did'nt belong on the front. $40.00 shipped brownmecha@insightbb.com

Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

I'm ordering a durablue +2+2 (+4) because I bent the stock axle. I just wanted to widen the front a little without spending 500 dollars for a-arms.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

I know how you feel. I want my front wider too but im not going to go through the rough ride and bent tie rods again.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

Does your raptr look weird with a plus 4 rear an stock front. I kind of thought the wheel spacers would bend a-arms, tie rods or something. Maybe I can find some a-arms for farily cheap somewhere

Old 12-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Range Rover

I think it looks pretty good. but it will only look better when i do get some a arms. I know my pics dont justify

Old 12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Gator,
Your on the right track.
K&N Pro flow filter
Stage 1 cam. I recommend a Higher comp piston to bring back what little bottom end you might lose with the cam.
Full exhaust. When looking for an exhaust. Look at the bends, make sure it doesnt have any tight bends. It should flow smoothly. And the left and right head pipe should be of equal length. Stay away from pipes where the left head pipe are too much longer that the right.
Synthetic oil is the best, just make sure it says "NON MOLY" on the bottle. Its the MOLY in the oil that makes your clutch slip.

You know what? Alba makes a stage 1 kit that aint too bad.
Comes complete with everything your looking for.
I had their stage 1 kit for a while and I liked it.

Quick Reply: Raptor 660 hop ups