Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shootout: YFZ450 TRX450R

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shootout: YFZ450 TRX450R

So what happens when yamaha starts outfitting there quads with white bros carbon pro II's and predesign intakes. Will that be a fair comparison then? its "stock" isnt it.
I dont agree with that "stock in the only way to compare". And as far as what you where saying above, ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY, AND IT TAKES LESS OF IT TO MAKE THE YFZ THE BEST, especially now that you brought the z400 into this. Gusts quad is like 28k!!!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

The 06 trx motor is on par with the yfz motor even with a pipe and cam mod I have talked to ESR and Sparks about the 06 TRX and they said that they will be almost the same in HP but the honda will have more torque and a longer power band And this will make it easier to ride fast Also the lower rpm will make the motor last longer Yes the honda is heavier but it has a few things you can take off to make up some of the diffrence Like the air box on the honda is a few pounds more than the yfz air box and the wheels and tires are actualy heavier on the honda And if you look at stuff on the honda you will see that is is a little heavier duty than the yfz Dont take me wrong the yfz is a great quad its just the honda has cought up and is going to give the yfz a run for its money

Old 01-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah the honda motor is better than the yfz motor this year. Looking at the dyno chart in DW, the 450r makes more power {33 rear wheel hp} all the way to 8500 rpm then the the yfz sneaks ahead in hp. Honda still hasn't figured out the 450r chassis geometry. Seriously modded VS seriously modded {ie pro race bikes} will be close in power and handling and should trade wins this season, unless suzuki dominates this year.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

IMO I think the honda handles better But that might be because im not nearly as fast as the pro's I owned a 04 yfz I realy liked the bike but I hated how the motor wouldnt last I broke 3 pistons and I lost one cranksaft I did the oil mod and put a falicon crank in it but they still break pistons so I sold it I then got a 04 trx But it was not as fast but it didnt break all the time Now I have the 06 trx and its as fast as a yfz if not faster and not one problem yet

Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: 135boom
And as far as what you where saying above, ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY, AND IT TAKES LESS OF IT TO MAKE THE YFZ THE BEST!
There is no best man, it is preferance. Depends on rider style on his/her likings. You were talking about a privateer being stupid for going with the R, I don't see how you can say that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] There is not enough difference between the two to get you a position higher on the track. It's rider man! I raced a semi-stock Z400 last year and took first place over both kinds of 450's, I would of rather been on a 450, but being in a amature class it didn't make all that much difference. Anybode that uses the "best" word is like every little kiddy on here that thinks they know it all.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And not to mention, everything being discussed is pretty much MX comparisons, not a big percetage of these quads are used for that.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

OK, do waht you want, and everyone else can do the same. I never said that you would be stupid to go with the trx did I?
I think the trx is more than ever a contender in the 450 class, as far as motor goes. MY point was, if you are a privateer, it will take more money to get a trx, to run as good as a yfz(.) That involves chassy, suspension, motor, and weight. the trx does not out perform the yfz STILL, and comes in way short on handling.

As for those dynos, the idiots did it with knobbies, not giving a accurate reading. I am sure if they used slicks, you would have the trx still on top in horse, but have more accurate curves and numbers.

The only reason the trx is making more power this year in stock form is mostly because of there half way decent stock exhuast they put on it.

I could almost guarantee, that if you where to take the p-shooter out of the exsisting stock hunk of crap exhuast on the yfz, the numbers would be equal or better on the yfz.
In the past exhuast shootouts, they did this, and it yielded another 2.5 horse on top.

NO ONE IS GOIGN TO GO WRONG WITH EITHER MACHINE. Its my opinion though, if your trying to have the best machine out on the track, it takes a whole lot more money to do so on the trx. It can be done, but for a price, and that is why I am not going to make the switch to honda as this point. I am more curious on what suzuki is going to be like.
If the motor is like the dirtbike, then in comparison to the other 450 dirtbikes, I dont think its motor is going to be all that great either. Good, but not honda or yamaha GREAT!

Originally posted by: motox26
And as far as what you where saying above, ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY, AND IT TAKES LESS OF IT TO MAKE THE YFZ THE BEST!
There is no best man, it is preferance. Depends on rider style on his/her likings. You were talking about a privateer being stupid for going with the R, I don't see how you can say that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] There is not enough difference between the two to get you a position higher on the track. It's rider man! I raced a semi-stock Z400 last year and took first place over both kinds of 450's, I would of rather been on a 450, but being in a amature class it didn't make all that much difference. Anybode that uses the "best" word is like every little kiddy on here that thinks they know it all.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And not to mention, everything being discussed is pretty much MX comparisons, not a big percetage of these quads are used for that.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

With pro riders ,up till now atleast, the yfz was capable of getting better lap times, so says every magazone that was ever published with a shootout of the two!!!!!!

I agree with you that riders are everything, but why start out with a disadvantage?

I hope that this is not the case this year for the trx, but in years past, it definately has been. I am just not seeing how much change could possibly happen, if they are still equally as fast, and the yfz still has the better chassy?

Old 01-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

There is almost always a BEST!!!!!!!!! When you compare two contenders, that are meant for the same application, and one stands out way more then the other, then you end up with the "best" way to go, and the best quad for that application.
-what are you talking about??? I guess in your book, its totally a waste of time to shootout machines against eachother, to find out which one is "best"????

Old 01-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

With pro riders ,up till now atleast, the yfz was capable of getting better lap times, so says every magazone that was ever published with a shootout of the two!!!!!!

I agree with you that riders are everything, but why start out with a disadvantage?

I hope that this is not the case this year for the trx, but in years past, it definately has been. I am just not seeing how much change could possibly happen, if they are still equally as fast, and the yfz still has the better chassy?
You can't go by everything that comes out of a magazine.

Riders are everything we agreed on, but it is not a FACT that the yfz performs better than the 450R. One guy might be better on one machine than another at all skill levels. Besides singe lap times doesn't really mean squat. Every racer knows that, two things count, one is can you keep the speed up without getting wore out or uncomfortable. And two, in traffic how well will the machine navigate while having to hold a line? It's going to be different for riders, numbers does not mean squat.

I don't see where you think it will take so much money to make an R competitive to a YFZ when they are so close already?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Not to mention you are just talking about MX, there is other forms of racing to.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!

Originally posted by: 135boom I guess in your book, its totally a waste of time to shootout machines against eachother, to find out which one is "best"????

This statement right there lets everyone know that you don't know what your talking about. If you have to ask what that means, then you prove my point.

And how many posts do you need to try and validate a point?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Shootout: YFZ450 TRX450R