Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Stuck Shee Shifter...Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Just got back from what was supposed to be a nice morning banshee ride and to my dismay I could not shift it! The last time we were out(two days ago), it was working just fine when I loaded it back on the truck. Now today I fired it up,warmed it up as usual, put it into gear, and began rolling suddenly I could not shift into second, back to neutral, anything! Its simply froze up solid. The local shop says "Can't really say...bring it in.." Thats BS and they know it. My feeling is someone has had this happen before. If its happened to you or someone you know please let me know what it is so I can ride this weekend.

Thanks!

VOTE BUSH TOMORROW = )

Old 11-06-2000, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone??

Old 11-06-2000, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Does it still work in first? mabe busted a shifting fork???

Old 11-06-2000, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

Could be the return spring.

Old 11-07-2000, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hey grandpa ! What do you mean in your signature by "back in action with a new engine" ???

Old 11-07-2000, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

About your problem it could be someting with the clutch cable,handle,shaft..etc You said that the quad just started to go forward when put in first.....does you clutch feel weird ???? it could be that the clutch doesn't disengage like its supposed to when you pull it. The same thing happen on my quadracer and it was the shaft that popped off......

Old 11-07-2000, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

This is a common Banshee problem. It happened to my '97 Banshee and then my friends '98 two weeks later. I made the mistake of disassembling the motor, thinking it was a transmission problem. The problem is that your shift drum is halfway between 2 gears. If you remove the clutch side engine cover, you can turn the shift star to the next position and the shift mechanism will work again. Check to see that the shift shaft alignment pin is not bent or grooved excessively. The Clymer manual for the banshee shows how to align the shift shaft properly. A friend of mine had this happen in the woods and he just yanked on the shifter until it clicked into the next gear. Some of the performance shops have shifter mods that are supposed to help this. Let us know what happens.

Old 11-07-2000, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Yambike,
How do I take off the shifter axle seal? It seems to be leaking (maybe he's worn out), but I can't figure how to tale it out from there?
Can you help?

Old 11-07-2000, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

Just use a wide flat head screwdriver to pry the shift shaft seal out. Be careful not to scratch the case where the seal seats. A new seal costs a few dollars. Pack the new seal with grease before you install it.

Old 11-08-2000, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

OK. Just the standard thing. I was just hoping I could take it off to check it. I'll do it your way (normal way), only when I'll be sure I can have one new (if they're available). Is it normal for a '98?

Quick Reply: Stuck Shee Shifter...Help