Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Electrical Problem with Banshee Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000 | 12:43 PM
|
Pro Rider

I have a 98 Banshee with a 130 re-wound Ricky Stator and 7" PIAA lights with 55w Hyper-Blue bulbs.

While riding last week, my lights were working fine when all the sudden, they dimmed momentarily, then returned to normal, then dimmed again (browned out) until they went completely out. They failed to light the rest of the night.

The following day, I pushed and tugged on all of the wires, connections, etc., to see if something was loose. No help.

I took the Stator cover off and observed a small contact of some type on the lower right side of the Stator Housing. This seemed to be some type of magnetic contact that was approx 1/8" away from the Stator Housing. I removed the screw that held this contact in place and wiped it off. I then reinstalled it. No help.

I took the handlebar switch apart and everything looked fine. No help.

I then took the headlights apart and put them back together again. No help.

After walking away from the bike for a short period of time, I returned and tried the lights again. Poof...they worked fine. Later, I went on several rides and had no further problems.

I hadn't been in any water previous to this occurring.

Can anyone even begin to analyze this condition and make suggestions on what could have occurred or failed? I hate to have it happen again when I am miles away from home.

I tried this topic on the "Performance and Mod's" Forum with no response. Maybe somebody in this Forum has some experience with this?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2000 | 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know what it is. Maybe a wire is broken and contacts sometime yes and sometimes not. But never had such problems with the lighting.