Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help with carb..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with carb..

wwoo had a noob moment.. posted just a title and no msg... anyways today i went to the stealership to get some jets and was wondering what this guy was talking about.. he said something about a plunger or something i nthe float bowl and that if the bowl has been taken off( which mine has MANY times before) that it may have gotten moved or something causing it bog in lower rpms( which mine does) how would i go about finding this out? or better yet.. fixing this.. i know for sure i am going out ther RIGHT THIS MINUTE to start tearing it down.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The plunger is the accelerator pump. It should have a spring in there too. If the spring is missing it probably fell out while you were jetting it. The spring out of a 'click click" pen works as a perfect replacement if yours is missing.

On the right side of this pic you see the accel pump plunger sticking up, with a spring on the end. If there's no spring put one in, and your problem should be solved
accel pump

Also, you should check to make sure the rubber boot in this picture is fitted over the plunger properly. The rubber boot is in the bottom right corner under the black cover.
carb side

Once you're done, hook up the carb to the fuel line(don't attach it to the manifolds yet). Look at the intake end of the carb where the brass needle sticks into the center of the bore. Now pump the thumb throttle a few times and see if gas squirts out the needle. If it does, you're good to go. Watch your eyes though, it can splash out and it burns the eyes pretty good.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

yea.. i've had gas in the eyes b4.. not fun.. was taking off my fuel line and it sprayed me.. i made sure it didn't this time tho [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] also holy crap you are such a big help.. and the spring is missing.. i know it is.. i havn't taken the carb apart yet but i am 100% sure it is missing.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had the same problem. That spring dropped out when I was rejetting, and I just thought it was bogging/hesitating because I screwed up the jetting. After I bought the edelbrock I was taking my dynojets out to sell the kit, and I discovered the spring was gone.