Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help shifting a Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2000, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always owned ATV's with an Automatic tranny,and I just got my Raptor and don't really know how to shift the manual transmission. How do I know when to shift? Do I always use the clutch? What gear do I start in? After I start the raptor up do I just push in the clutch shift into 1st and take off or what? When coming to a stop what do I do as far as shifting? LAST BUT NOT LEAST, HOW DO I SHIFT??????? Any help would be appreciated. Please no negative posts just posts that will truly help me. If you could please post detailed directions on shifting your help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-09-2000, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

I think the owners manual has a fairly good directions on shifting. Did you read it? I personally always start in first(one down) then continue shifting up 2-3-4-5.

Old 11-09-2000, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

When you are in neutral pull the clutch in(left lever) and shift(left foot) to first(down). Then give it gas and let out the clutch slowly(emphasis on slowly). Ta da!! Your moving.The rest of the gears are up. Each time you shift pull in the clutch, shift, and then let out the clutch. When you get more experienced you can powershift without using the clutch but I wouldn't try that for a while. Get used to the clutch. Practice...

Old 11-09-2000, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't get what you mean first is down but the rest are up? Say I am in 4th and want to shift down to 3rd how do I do it? I don't understand how you upshift and downshift. I am totally confused. Please help!!

Old 11-09-2000, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

the gear pattern for my banshee is as follows(most quads are either 5 or 6 speed)

Neutral

Pulling in the clutch (left lever) and pushing down On the shifter will get you into first gear.
every gear from there is going up (hook your toes under the lever and pull up) So once your in first gear...pulling the clutch again and lifting up will get you to second gear...then third...fourth and so on. If you are in 4th and want to down shift....pull in the clutch and push down on the lever....your now in 3rd...again...second...etc.
Neutral is between 1st and 2nd
If your totally lost on this...consult your manual or better yet...sign up for an ATV instruction course. I know the manual describes this in better terms than I used.

Old 11-09-2000, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

WOW!!!!
you are just kidding? (right).If not how come your dealer or who ever you bought it from did not go over the machine with you? You did not even try it out before you bought it.Why did you spend so much on a machine you do not know how to ride?
I think you should go back to something simple.(BREEZE)before you hurt your self.

Old 11-09-2000, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

dude seriousely. if u don't even know how to shift a manual shift quad then u shouldn't be starting out on a raptor! u need something a lot smaller. blaster or 300EX maybe? but anyways heres how to shift.
pull in the clutch lever. push your foot down on the shifter to go into first gear. if u want nuetral it is a half click upward from first.
2nd gear is a full upward click, 3rd is another and so on. once you are in gear (1st) sloooowly let out the clutch while giving it some gas. don't give it to much or it will pop a wheelie and maybe throw you off. if you let go of the clutch too early you will kill it. you will start slowly rolling foward if your doing it right. don't let go of the clutch when you feel this just keep letting it out slow till its all the way out. now you should be rolling in 1st gear. once your revs start getting high pull in the clutch and shift upward into second then let out the clutch. not slow this time though you have to do this pretty smooth. whenever you want to switch gears pull in the clutch and shift. if you want to go down a gear pull in the clutch and click the shift lever down instead of up. hope that helps.

Old 11-09-2000, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ya sayit_fmf got it. When you want to shift up pull in the clutch and hook foot under the gear shifter(left) and pull up. The same goes for downshifting just pull the clutch in and push down on the gear shift, then let out the clutch. You'll get used to it, just putt around in like first, second and third. If you need anymore help just reply and I get your email address and explain more specificaly through emails not this forum. So some people aren't ripping on your lack of experience with standards.Good luck!

Old 11-09-2000, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

oh and for stopping. pull in the clutch then hit the back brake. you might have to downshift after a stop or not. it depends how long you are stopped for. usually u will have to. just listen to the revs. when they get high its time to shift. if you start boggin it down that means your shifting to early. but if you get them too high you can burn up your engine real quick. oh and one more thing...i hope your breaking in your raptor before you start giving it a lot of throttle.

Old 11-09-2000, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Get someone near you explain that "in situ". It's million times clearer than posts on a forum. Get someone (salesman, atv instructor...whatever rider who wants to take 1/2 hour and explain to you clearly what you have to do and how it works) to explain to you.
You will probably stall quite some times, but that's OK...look how a gearbox and clutch work (techincally) and you should be able to shift as it should be done.
Good luck.
Keep us informed of how many times you stalled

Quick Reply: Need help shifting a Raptor