Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ shock conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ shock conversion

Do YFZ shocks lower the stance on a raptor? I got a pair of shocks on ebay and will be installing them soon. Just wanted to know this. You guys that have done this, how do you like it?

Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

yes it does depending on preload. I set my preload about 1/2 inch from the top of the shock and it droped the front end and widened too. The ride was great, it felt alot more stable and handled way better to me. It provided a softer ride as well. During the last race I broke the right shock so I am looking for a replacement and when I get it I am having both shocks re-valved for my weight and putting a gold valve in them. I'll post up how they do after that.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

How much will the gold valve and labor run you per shock? $300?

Old 02-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

I was quoted like 489 to do both fronts, and 350 to gold valve and re spring the rear for a +2 swingarm. I also plan on getting the spring upgrade from works for the YFZ front shocks. I called back in Oct. last year and they were working on a dual or tripple rate replacement spring like they did for the honda so it is probally out by now, they quoted a price of around 200 for those. I will hold off untill I see how they perform with just the re valve and how it feels whith increased pre load. The only reason for multi rate springs is to allow for a stiffer spring rate for large impacts and still have a smaller light spring for the little stuff so it's not so ruff. But since I desert race the extra 200 might not be worth it just to soften up the little bumps, I dont trail ride enough for that, but who knows.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

that sounds like a good price for gold valve and labor on 2 shocks. I need new shocks so I just went ahead and did it the cheap way. Havent seen many yfz shocks go for that cheap either! Any idea if the stock lights still fit with the new shocks?

Old 02-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

not sure if they will clear, I took mine off long ago. I got my YFZ's for 200, so if I spend all this money I'll have about 800 in them plus whatever it will cost to buy a replacement for the one I screwed up. I want to find a bad shock that isnt bent so I can use it to fix my bent one, maybe I'll get off cheap. If I had the 800 all at once I would have just bought some elkas or something but when you build on a budget it sometimes costs you more in the long run. Oh well at least when i am done I bet they will work better than elkas anyway.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

I hope they clear, or else they go back on ebay.

I know what you mean about being on a budget, Ive modded my bike quite a bit but its taken me almost 3 years.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

ha your getting ripped off, caliraptor send them to me and i'll have my shock guy do them for $175. Also the 450 shocks are hella stiff, on stock a-ams no matter who sets them up. if you have +2 a-arms they work perfectly.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Ive ridden a YFZ and it was STIFF. If I dont like the ride I'll defenetly send them out to get revalved. What all does your shock guy do to them for that price?

Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

175??? is that with a full rebuild using racetech gold valve set up ? I might have to send you mine if thats the case.

Quick Reply: YFZ shock conversion