Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Q's about setting up my 87 Banshee .....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's about setting up my 87 Banshee .....

I know its old but, im trading it for a cheap paint job on this guys drag car ........ I will buy a new wheeler when I refinance my house but, I want to set this quad up as best as i can in the suspension dept as well as engine mods until then.............

Details about the quad: 87 Banshee - All stock w/ nerfs, Maxxis Razr tires & Itp wheels , bumper & grab & not much more ..............

details about me & my riding :

1)I am 6 ft & 250 pounds ,
2)I am somewhat aggressive rider who pushes himself til my fat back hurts,
3)We ride a combo of terrains from sand&gravel pits to trails in the woods
4)Im not a top end high speed freak & would rather have the holeshot ,
5) I ride snowmobiles pretty aggressive & hit jumps as much as i can .....
6)We dont have a track to ride but I am bringing in a bulldozer to help us build one of my clay filled yard ..........
7)I wont race any but, i do want a good suspension setup for my weight
8)I need good power adders but, I dont want to get into rebuilding the entire engine..
9) What parts can i carry over to an later model banshee if i decide to buy another one??

* Can you guys/gals assist me in finding the best parts ( Suspension to Engine , Handle bars to axels / ect...) that will suit my needs , I have some money but, I dont plan on buying a $1000 set of front shocks - I want some good parts for my level ..... if anyone has good info for someone of my size & riding skill please post & thanks for your time, BOB_T

Old 02-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there handle bars & or stems that give the bars a rise ?? i am very used to Sleds & I like the stand up riding position while jumping/racing my sled..........?? Anyone ride like this ? Benefits to this style or no ??

I know i want the suspension to be wider off the bat & info on arms or whatever would be great...

What about rear swingarm & shock ?

I will be making a track that has a 50ft tabletop/90ft total , doubles, whoops & whatnot........ (Suspension info needed for sure)

thanks again , BOB_T

Old 02-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALBA has a nice basic list on their website. Check it out at http://www.albaaction.com/service/banshee-tips.htm

NOSS machine sells aftermarket heads with domes for around 260 bucks total. You get better cooling and high compression domes.
http://www.nossmachine.com/

Suspension wise I would check http://www.bansheehq.com for reviews.

If your banshee is stock right now, you are looking at close to DOUBLE the wheel horse power with pipes, porting, and head work. Just a set of pipes would help a ton.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

As you have figured out the weak spot on stock shees are the shocks {junk}. There's not much you can do for the front stockers, other than mount them in the trash can. The rear is actually made by ohlins for yamaha. What you need to do is contact works, elka, or axis directly and send them the stock rear shock to be rebuilt, revalved and have a new spring for your weight installed, and have a set of matching dual rates {no rezzies} for the front, set up for your weight shipped to you with your revamped rear shock. All this will be under $1000. For the motor since you want the holeshot you need to advance your timing 4 degrees, and shave your stock head for more compression, along with pipes and a pro flow. To widen out your bike cheaply, use douglas red label 1 inch off set wheels. Cheap, but effective. All these mods can be switched to another shee later on.