Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor clutch

I have a 04 Raptor. I need to replace the clutch. I've read a ton of prior posts about changing this clutch. It seems quite complicated. I think just from my reading that I want to go with the GYTR Clutch Kit but I am wandering if this is something I should be tackling in the garage or should I have a shop do it? I am mechanically inclined but have never changed a clutch. Should I be attempting this and will the cluth kit come with instructions? Any and all opinions are appreciated......by the way I am new to these forums and I would like to thank everyone for all the helpful information on this site.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default raptor clutch

It's not that big of deal to change, there's a few things to be aware of. The lower rear bolt comes out and goes back in with the case. There's one smaller fiber that goes in second from the back that goes with the cushion spring. There are some places on the net where you can download the manual for free and there is some real good info at raptortanny.com

Old 03-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor clutch

This quad is 100% stock and it's only trail ridden. Shoud I go with the high performance clutch or stock and if I use the HP do I need to change anything else.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default raptor clutch

Well i would get a heavy duty clutch anyway so you wont have to change as often,barnett or hinson are good clutches but the gytr aint bad.Any aftermarket clutch is better than the stock.

Old 04-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default raptor clutch

i just installed a new clutch on my 04 raptor i lined everything up the wright way and put the cover back on and now i cant get the clutch cable ujusted the right way either its engaged or its disengaged u got any opinion

Old 04-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default raptor clutch

Im having the same problem on my 04 raptor replaced the clutch put on every thing as the manual said, put the cover back on hooked every thing up right and my clutch lever is really soft almost like the springs are not disengaging. It feels like its only working on the spring that is on the clutch cover. Please help what am I doing wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor clutch

it sounds like your actuator arm gear inside the cover itself is not lined up with the pull rod in the middle of the clutch basket. so basically, the arm is too far forward and not grabbing the pull rod and actually moving the clutch. you need to remove the sidecase cover and re-align the actuator rod. I had the same problem, took me three tries to get it aligned.

to make things less painless, just push the cover on and off while you try and line up the actuator lever and pull rod. you'll know when you've got it. the arm will be almost perpendicular to the engine, but back a little, and you won't be able to push it with your hand.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor clutch

I had that same problem when I changed my clutch. Your release lever is too far forward. I took the cover back off and kept trying. I took several times to get it right but there is good news. You don't have to pull the cover back off.(wish I had known this before) On top of the release lever there is a snap ring take it off and you can reposition the release lever. Just make sure you put the spring back in the same way and you reinstall the snap ring with the sharp edge facing out. This should save you lots of time.