Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

[quote]
Originally posted by: DollarBillz
[i]
sell your rappy and get a shee and call jeff with f.a.s.t racing

Why would he wanna do that? He's already built up a repore with one of, if not THE best Banshee builder around. Kenz Cycle Tech.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2006, 05:39 AM
Pro Rider

So lemme see if I got this right. You go halfway in a build ( no FCRs and no swingarm extension) and complain of lack of power. You want to lose thousands of dollars and start over with a new quad instead of just finishing out the build you have?

Why bother asking where to go if you dont want to get the parts the quad needs to perform?

No matter what you do or how much you spend someone will still be faster and quicker than you.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Why bother asking?? Because i wanted to know what i could do... I heard the options/opinions and, that was not really what i wanted to hear. I could dump another 2k in swing, carbs, and, paddles and, still not be where i want as far and, competitive w/ my buddies banshees!!!

The raptor is a powerfull fun all around bike - like i wanted initially. Now i realize all i ever do is Dune Ride/ sand drag.. And, the Raptor - I don't care if it is 1000cc and, 45:1 comp isn't gonna be competitive against built Banshees!

Old 03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

"And, the Raptor - I don't care if it is 1000cc and, 45:1 comp isn't gonna be competitive against built Banshees! "

Amen to that Brother, and $20K of upgrades won't do any good either. It will just blow up quicker.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

so lets say if u had a bone stock raptor that u put out 39 HP and u put a turbo on it then it makes 60 well lets say u get it built - the turbo u would be making in the neighnor hood of 60 HP and then u put the turbo back on then the sky is the limit to what HP u would be making

and im sure it will give BUILT banshees a run for their money

Old 03-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

"so lets say if u had a bone stock raptor that u put out 39 HP and u put a turbo on it then it makes 60 well lets say u get it built - the turbo u would be making in the neighnor hood of 60 HP and then u put the turbo back on then the sky is the limit to what HP u would be making

and im sure it will give BUILT banshees a run for their money "

I'm sure it would. Good bike no doubt. The inherent problem with 4stroke turbo's is 'lag'. It was supposed to be impossible with 2 strokes, but the 3.62 second video in repetitions don't lie. That is one 'no smoking', sewing machine smooth, stock frame, haul-az machine. The 4 stroke rail was fast, but not near as fast, looked like it was exploding things in smoke at start, and was probably running on nitrous. I'd say the 'no-smoke' 2 stroke looked more reliable, definitely cheaper, and faster. I've got a rotax and wouldn't part with it. But for racing, what's the use going up against the turbo banchee?

Old 03-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

off topic but, how practical is a turbo bike - not to mention expensive!

I'd bet whatever 4 stroke motor you build, the 2 strokes will out power it dollar for dollar everytime!

Lets say you have a raptor built to 780 or whatever and, it makes 70HP on nuts and, then add 30 for a Turbo. Right there your at 100 with a lot of extra weight, moving parts and, still the slow reving characteristics! A 4 mm stroker Cheetah Cub banshee motor done right will make 100hp at half the cost and, 2x the reliability! and, kill the Turbo Raptor.. PLUS i'd take that same Banshee motor listed above and, go trail riding, duning, mx'ing or whatever BUT, I wouldn't dare get crazy with that wild of a build Turbo Raptor!

Old 03-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Capt. the bottom line is you dont like your 4 stroke and you want a banshee, at the end of the day you need to be happy with your bike. Put your raptor up for sale and see what you can get for it, I know you didnt like the numbers we talked about but internally modded bikes are not worth much more than a clean bolt-on bike. If you think its bad on a raptor, wait to see what happens when you go to sell a built banshee.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

"Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?"

If you want to win races, you have to be willing to spend money on the parts you need to do it. Otherwise, you better be happy getting beat.

Right now the thing that is slowing you down the most is those piece of crap geckos and your swingarm. You can get a used set of haulers to mount on your wheels and an swingarm extension for $300 if you look around hard enough. If you are not willing to spend 300 bones, but are willing to sell your bike and possibly lose more than 1k...then you are crazy.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

And what makes having a really fast four stroke fun, is no one expects you to be fast. So far you are living up to that expectation, so borrow some good tires and try a swingarm extension before you sell...it will make a huge difference. You might want to keep that Raptor after all.

Quick Reply: What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?