Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?

Originally posted by: CaptBags
AustinONeal - I need to sell my bike first or trade it. Don't need 2 bikes nor can i afford a nice shee while i have the Raptor. This Blows! I do Like my Raptor and, it is very powerfull and, fast.. Just becoming more and, more of not what i want!
After reading this post and several others from you, looks like you already have your mind made up. I think your fishing for a reason to justify it. If your not happy, theres no since in doing it. Just my opionion.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you have been infected with the "Must Win" virus and are looking for the cheapest way out. It will take just as much money to be competitive at more than the local level with either decision, regional/national drag Banshees are not cheap either.

I think you should make some mods to your Raptor and then decide if it's enough. Your build isn't performing to it's potential, there is a lot more in there.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't start out this thread wanting a Banshee, it is just turning out that way. I'm seeing more and, more that I'll have to get at least a swingarm and, a smaller sprocket ($800+) it to make it handle the power/torque i already have. My buddies with 75-100 hp Banshees Wax me (Cuz they can actually launch w/o flipping over) and, have stock length swingarms. I'd love to have a bike as fast as theres and, retain the stock length so i can ride anywhere and, do any kind of riding; without having to switch my whole swingarm set up to go jumping. Plus, Even now it is tons of fun being a "Sleeper"!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Capt, your comparing apples to oranges. Banshee power is a different animal. It doesnt hit as hard as a Raptor at lower rpm. Your talking about a 100hp shee. Hes probably not launching that thing to its potential. He must not be coming up on any rpms before launch with the type of power your talking about. I have seen and riden Shees with alot less horsepower that needed bigger swingarms to launch them like they needed.

Your Raptor is probably only putting out around 60-70hp. That there has you at a big disadvantage to your buddies shee.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I've seen the Dyno runs and, riden the bikes many times. One, for instance has 72hp. He has a stock arm and, you can rev it to the moon, dump the clutch in 2nd on the line (weight forward of course) and, blow a 1 foot wheelie all the way down the flat in a drag going throught the gears. We beat on 4-6 in swinged Banshees all the time (lesser riders and, HP). In an average race I'd get murdered out of the hole by about 5 bikes in 100ft by him and, by the time 300 ft (guess) i'd have made up a lot and, be still gaining but the initial holeshot is where it isn't even close! Call me stubborn but, he has a stock swingarm and, i need an after market? That Blows! By the way, it seems like when they leave the hole the 2Strokes HP BLARES the paddles from the get go. The 4 strokes in general seem to dig in more or just use their torque instead of HP and, need to get moving a little to really get going. Maybe it is the Slower reving characteristic of the 4's that makes it a hole different animal?!

Old 03-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Capt'n keep in mind that Raptor's and Banshee's are balanced differently from the factory. Raptor's come with a much lighter front end which makes keeping the nose down harder at the launch. If you want to keep the sleeper look. Bolt on a JTM 4.5 swingarm extension. It's cheap, durable, and very effective at keeping the nose down. The "digging in" problem you speak about is your Gecko's. They don't have near the floatation that Hauler's do. With a good dual exhaust system, a JTM extension, and some Hauler's your buddies will be the ones trying to catch up. I have a similar set up as your's, but with the afformentioned parts, and I have yet to ever be hole-shotted by any Banshee. And I've run up against hundreds of them at 339th and at Glamis. Being run down is a different story.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

I think i'm gonna try to sell it and, see what i get offered. Or, maybe someone wants to trade?? If it doesn't work out and, it looks like i'll take to bad of a beating on it ,,,, I will probably try a swingarm and, a pair of Haulers the buddy with the 100hp Banshee just gave me (he got 12 or 14 paddle extremes).

Old 03-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sent you pm

Old 03-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone know what my bike would be worth in great condition? I'd like a good base line in considering offers. This may also sway my intensions on selling it. If it is worth crap, maybe i'll keep it for the girlfriend.. If it is worth good $ - I'll part with it and, find a good Banshee to build.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
This thread was not intended to be a pissing match, so unless you have some HELPFUL info for captbags I'd suggest you keep the "my builder makes faster bikes than yours" crap at BT where they get a kick out of it. Some argument and discussion is of course expected, but let's not allow it to take over a thread and keep us from helping the member who's asking for insight.

Bags,

If you're willing to spend the money on those upgrades I think it would dramitically improve the performance of your machine. As choosetolose said setup is extremely important. I just upgraded to a +6 swinger and will be getting some new paddles to get the power to the ground. My bike improved a lot just from a 2 inch extension welded into a stock swingarm and I'm expecting a lot more with the right paddles and the +6. I can speak for the FCR's, they're a great upgrade and can really help you get the most out of your engine and especially the porting. A new cam would go well in there too.

But, it's going to be much cheaper in comparison to get a banshee up to snuff. That is, if you dont loose too much in the sale of your current bike. If it's not financially feasible to have both, (I sure as heck couldnt afford it lol) and speed is truly what you want then the banshee is the way to go. The raptor can be made to scream, but the banshee is still king in the straight line and up the hill.
i sure hope your not taking about me but i do have some input for catbags sell your rappy and get a shee and call jeff with f.a.s.t racing

Quick Reply: What is next in Performance Upgrades for my 686?