Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006 | 07:06 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

Hello, i Needed some more help with my warrior. I am going to buy a kit off of ebay, A rebuild kit for like 200$.. I have a high compression piston, Do i have to put a stock piston back in?? Im not totally sure what happens, my uncle is going to help me.
Also, I am going to put aftermarket suspension, and some chassis components onto it, This is were i really need help. Should I take suspension off of a yfz450 or something?? is that too hard or should i buy like better shocks just for the warrior, also with chassis, i need it to be a few inches wider, please someone just help me with what i need to do, what my best bet would be with my suspension/ chassis (im a clueless 14 year old).. (for now)
And one more thing, What carbuerator would work best for my warrior, my engine has heavier cam, heavier piston, heavier valves, pipe, airfilter. What carb would work best?? THANKS A LOT!!

And please dont tell me to buy a new bike although i do appreciate it, i dont want a new bike.. i want my warrior [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2006 | 08:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

The rebuild kit comes with a new piston, you'll have to use that instead of your high comp.

If I remember from before, you don't have much money to spend, and good suspension is expensive. They BEST way to improve your front suspension is to get aftermarket arms, and aftermarket shocks valved for your setup and riding conditions. It's best to get the shocks and arms at the same time. Don't use yfz shocks on the warrior's stock arms, they are too long and overstress your ball joints, leading to breakage and bodily injuries.

To widen the rear you can get a +4 aftermarket axle, and you can either get a 2001 raptor 660 rear shock to soak up the bumps better, or if you feel like spending big money you can get an aftermarket rear shock which is much more expensive.

To widen and soak up the bumps better figure on spending at least 650 on the front, and 400 on the rear, this isn't a small investment.

Old 03-26-2006 | 09:12 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

yes i didn't have much, but now i have 2400. So how much performance will i lose by getting the ebay kit??

Thanks a lot for your input, also... So 660 rear suspension fits perfectly?? so if i could find cheap aftermarket 660 suspension or warrior suspension either way im fitting perfectly??

Front suspension.. Forget a-arms.. 2 much lol.. Works resovoirs are they good?? would they work well with the 660 rear shock??

Recon 99 i know you can help me with these questions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].. And another thing, Oil Cooling conversition kit.. How big of job?? if you could give me a breif desription of what that involves i would appreciate it.

Old 03-26-2006 | 09:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

You'll actually gain performance, because although you won't have a high compression piston, you'll still have better compression because of how bad your top end was before.

The only suspension from a raptor 660 that is good for the warrior is the rear shock, from a 2001 rappy only because of the remote reservoir. The stock one is a big improvement over the warrior's stock one, but it will make your rear end sit a few inches higher (but you get a few more inches of travel also)

Works w/res are good shocks, but the elka recreational shocks without reservoirs are better for slightly less money, and you have the option of adding a reservoir system in the future if you would ever choose to.

The oil cooling is a fairly simple thing to do, and will cost between $80 and $150, depending on if you buy new or used parts, and how good of a deal you can find. To do it you get an oil cooler adapter setup off an older yamaha big bear, which bolts on in place of your stock oil filter cover. You get fittings from a hardware store that threads into the adapter, and adapts it to oil/transmission cooler hose. The hoses get ran along the frame to the transmission cooler for a car, which you can mount wherever you have room, I mounted mine under the hood so it was protected from roost, tree branches, etc.

Old 03-26-2006 | 10:02 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

Thanks so much, transmission cooler from a car?? any car??... is it worth all of it??

Can you give me a good website or two to get the shocks from? I am unsure of what to do. So you are saying Definintely get the 660r rear shock 2001. And get elka recs. Front? Were can i find them?

Carbuerator, What is electric choke? I want a carb that will make my bike start quick, and have big performance advance.. Edelbrock?? White bros..?

THANK YOUU

Old 03-26-2006 | 10:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

hayden 401 trans cooler

You can get them at an auto parts store for about $40, I got mine brand new on ebay for half that. They fit perfectly under the hood.

I think goldenwest cycle was where I saw the elkas for $450, ebay has them for the same price, with free shipping. I'd check with a local shop first to see if they happen to have a used 01 660 rear, if not, then watch ebay until you can get a good deal on one.

Electric choke is something you're only going to find on larger engines, like cars or boats. I have the edelbrock, and it's a great carb. Great throttle response, good power gains, super-easy to tune, and even without a choke cold starting is pretty good.

Old 03-26-2006 | 11:13 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

does the oil cooler work well?? is it worth it? I greatly appreciate all of your help!

Old 03-27-2006 | 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

It works good for me, it does what I need it to. It's definitely worth the investment, even if you don't have heat-related problems it'll still let the engine run even cooler and everything will last longer, and you will have less frequent oil changes. I was having trouble with my transmission shifting hard when it was hot outside, and with the cooler that problem is gone.

Old 03-27-2006 | 07:54 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

Alright looks like i have some purchasing to do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2006 | 09:37 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default warrior rebuild

Recon, If i could find a high performance 2001 rappy 660 shock would it be better than a high performance warrior rear shock?

Quick Reply: warrior rebuild