Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why don't they make bigger cc qauds??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 04:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't they make bigger cc qauds??

ok, i know it maybe stupid to give a blaster a 900cc engine or something, but why don't the big companies e.g. yamaha, kawasaki, honda, suzuki, polaris etc make the quads with bigger engines and ore torque. it the way its already going. when i was 8 years old [ oly 16 now] i had a yamaha leaflet and the biggest racing quad in there was the banshee and warrior. then along comes the 660 raptor in 02, and now the 700. kawi have there 700 so why don they just jump agian to 900cc or start extracting power from the engines, i.e making a 300 cc quad with lots kore toruqe and hp than the 660 or 700??? is it because we all like to own the big bikes with their big engines? just strokes me as odd that a Yamaha R6 has aound 130 hp, probably more, but a raptor with the bigger engine has 36 hp. i know that raptors are single cylinder but still why not make them with 60hp stock??? would it be too dangerous? a total redesign of the quad [ wider, lower, longer- not too long though] would allow for these modifications.................so why not do it? just charge us more for the sale price and then we don't have to pa for mods later.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider

The vast majority of people do not have the skills to ride a quad with the kind of power you are talking about. Also most people do not go really fast when riding off road.
Companies are not going to make a quad with 100hp that some guy named Jim-Bow can take up in the woods and kill him self on.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

The previous poster nailed it, it's a liablity issue. Basically they have found that if you allow most people to have all that power they will hurt themselves with it. And if they hurt themselves with it they will sue even though it was their own stupid fault to begin with. Unfortunately they would probably win so it's just easier to detune the quads and leave it at that.

Also I believe most states have a regulation that says that over 800cc is not an ATV anymore.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I hear what he's saying but how about turbo additions seen as the new trend is going EFI!! power on demand only when you need it and remember all this talk of power its like saying people who buy an R1 or R6 dont know what their buying if they want a sport bike.

Those who buy bikes for touring know not to buy an R1 but the Faser has a similar engine and is more manageable and so i think quads should be the same if you want a neck jerk machine then respect the power it has. most people here in Ireland are into motocross because the quads cant give the same excitement there are a few examples ive seen mainly the guys from the supermoto series which are quick but there would be more for sure if there were greater power in the upper classes like 450cc+. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: dreamMACHINE
...so why not do it? just charge us more for the sale price and then we don't have to pa for mods later.
well, humans will never be happy with how fast something go..if i had a 900cc quad with 100hp, it wouldnt be enough then, i need more mods, no one can build something fast enough for everyone some ppl dont care abt speed but some do and for some of us, they cant make anything fast enough

Old 04-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

actually, a good idea would be puttin a yamaha r1 engine on a wheeler...thatd be hott especially on a rappy youd prolly do like 160

Old 04-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Tyayo420batavia
actually, a good idea would be puttin a yamaha r1 engine on a wheeler...thatd be hott especially on a rappy youd prolly do like 160

I was in Spain a last year and in the middle of a group of bikers were 2 Quads, 1 was a Blue Raptor and the other a Predy i think and both had the road kits on them so makes you wonder what with bikes being more likely go from under you and cause you to go up the road on your wing mirrors why hasnt their been a "Niche market" road type quad i dont know would make sence as there are a lot of trikes out there and a YFM frame with a 160-180 lump would be tasty!

PS enjoy
Crazy ATV

Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

First, the definition of an ATV according to many public parks is 800cc & under--the one I ride at included. Do they check now--no but there are none from the factory yet. They might just not issue you an ATV registration if they started making one over 800cc, after that point it would be considered more like a dune buggy. Again, per typical ATV park rules I have read.

Second 160 mph on a quad is a pipe dream.

Third even RC & Stewart can't use all the power availbe to them in their 450 dirtbikes (RC has said he does not even run Suzuki's top engine settings in supercross because it is too much power). Point: There is more than enough displacement available under 800cc, if the manufacturers wanted to build it they could easily get 60-70 reliable HP, probably over 100 on a high strung engine.

As engine size increases so does weight, & unless you add a ton of cylinders (4) it will not rev as fast as a smaller engine due to the heavier componets.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

How about they want us to spend alot of $$$ on aftermarket parts in order to get the quad we really want. Some companies like honda even sell the hop up kits after you drop the first $6000-$7000. Don't feed me the liability issue BS cause there are alot of other factory superfast things being sold.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

[i]
Second 160 mph on a quad is a pipe dream.

Third even RC & Stewart can't use all the power availbe to them in their 450 dirtbikes (RC has said he does not even run Suzuki's top engine settings in supercross because it is too much power). Point: There is more than enough displacement available under 800cc, if the manufacturers wanted to build it they could easily get 60-70 reliable HP, probably over 100 on a high strung engine.

As engine size increases so does weight, & unless you add a ton of cylinders (4) it will not rev as fast as a smaller engine due to the heavier componets.
I was just gonna leave this post without commenting till I read this guys post.

First of all, 160 mph on a quad is on our doorstep. Im almost there now.
My Rappy sports a turbo gsxr1000 motor putting out right around 200/230 HP, so Ive got the HP and gearing to do it, but the chassis's not ready for those speeds. But were getting close.

Second, Yea, Rc and those guys along with 99.99% of the world doesnt need that much HP but us duners and drag racers want all we can get.

Third . Adding cylinders does add some weight BUT I'll take that weight as the trade for more HP
A stock Rappy motor weighs in at 110-120 lbs and makes 35 hp
A stock gsxr motor weighs in at 160 and makes 150 HP
Size is the bigger hinderance, not weight.

And its obvious that youve never owned a 4 cyl motor because to make a statement like " A 4 cyl motor wont rev as fast as a single cyl motor". Well, thats just CRAZY. Any 4 cyl motor from anyone of todays sport bikes will out rev any single cyl motor on the market today.
Step out of the dark ages and open your eyes. The future is here.

my bike 1 pic

my bike pic 2

Oh yeah, hey "Dream machine" send me a very large check and I'll build you whatever size Raptor you want. All it takes is $$$$$$

Quick Reply: Why don't they make bigger cc qauds??