Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how much POWER will I get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much POWER will I get?

I've got a 06 700 raptor, gytr exaust, header, and filter. I've got about 50 hours on it so far. I'm gonna get a power commander in the next week or so. Probably a dobeck. How much power will I get from it? Will it be noticable? It seems like alot of people I've heard of that has them got them when they upgraded their pipe and stuff so it's hard to tell. I'm itchin to get one and just am really curious if its really going to make a difference in hp or not. I mainly want to get it so I don't run so lean, but it would be nice if I new it was gonna give me some more ponies. When I do get it I plan on taking a trip to the dunes, riding for an hour or so without it, then put it on and go back out so I can see if there is a difference or not. I'll let you all know how it does for any other newbies. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well i can tell you this what you did was VERY bad for your engine. A box is the FIRST thing you should do. With it you will get alot of power that you should b getting the power you got from just asdding the pipe n all that is nothing compared to the power that a box will give you because it makes the pipe and all work.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

when i bought the quad the "yamaha guy" told me that I could do all that and the efi adjusts for it. Unfortuantly I didn't find out the info about the box for awhile after I got the quad, and I'm just now able to afford one. Does it really give it that much more *****. I've heard people say it's like riding a different quad, or waking up a monster. Is that true, I'm very excited. My friend has an 06 LT450 that I have to smoke.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

DO you think I could of messed up anything on my quad? Is there anyway to check everything to make sure it's o.k. Only thing I can think of is doing a compresion test to make sure that I didn't cook my rings. I do watch my exaust and it's not smoking or anything. Again, me running the bike without a box was cause of what mr. yamaha said. I even asked about the super nova glowing headers and the said" oh yeah thats perfectly normal" I guess it's normal cause they don't have a clue about upgrades and the efi.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have the gytr pipe and filter lid removed, i added the power commander and it became a whole diff animal. I have my fuel richend up to +34 on some of the upper rpms. Mid range i have it +22 or so.. goes to show you how lean the quad is stock. if your having hard times starting it after its hot, its because its to lean and burning up your plug

Old 04-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nicknamehere
DO you think I could of messed up anything on my quad? Is there anyway to check everything to make sure it's o.k. Only thing I can think of is doing a compresion test to make sure that I didn't cook my rings. I do watch my exaust and it's not smoking or anything. Again, me running the bike without a box was cause of what mr. yamaha said. I even asked about the super nova glowing headers and the said" oh yeah thats perfectly normal" I guess it's normal cause they don't have a clue about upgrades and the efi.
I feel pretty safe saying that you prolly didn't do any damage to your engine, so I wouldn't worry about that much. You're obviously not running so lean that it runs like crap or has any obvious power shortages. I've heard alot about the EFI not properly adjusting and I assume it's cause there is no O2 sensor in the system. It's not really made to self adjust, but Yamaha would love for you to believe that. I think you will notice a significant increase in overall performance when you install the power commander, possibly enough difference that you prolly wont have switch it back to stock to notice the change. As for the glowing header, that is completly normal and no matter how rich you get the idle circuit the header will inevitably glow (just less so with the proper jetting). I've own a 660, YFZ, and 700R and all are jetted perfect and have glowing headers, even when they were stock the header glowed. The glowing header is just a Yamaha thing and I wouldn't worry about it at all. Headers get VERY hot (600-800 degrees F) and only recently (last 5 years) have companies began to make very thin titanium and stainless steel headers for added performance on stock bikes that arn't painted flat black, so people began to notice these glowing headers after that point. Thing is, they were getting the same temp before it just wasn't noticable because of the paint and thicker metal.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

hey thanks for the info. I'm very optimistic about the commander. I can't wait.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Trailblazer

It's me again, anybody have the Dobeck TFI on thier 700? Like i mentioned earlyer I got the gytr header, pipe, and filter and just got the dobeck, anybody have ideas on what are good settings to start at. thanks.