Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with my Raptor (very frustrating)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my Raptor (very frustrating)

Whut up? I have a 2005 Special Edition Raptor 660. I've had over a year now. Recently I've had a weird and kinda unsafe thing going on with my bike. When I'm climbing a hill or trying to accelerate fast, sometimes it "bogs" out like it wants to die or like it's running out of gas. One time I was climbing a hill and it died right in the middle of the hill and I slid down backwards almost turning over.

Anyway, what do you think it is? A dude at work told me to screw the governor back in a little if I had it all the way out, that didn't work. Another guy told me that my carb needs to be taken apart and cleaned. I really dont' drive it that often, maybe 2-3 times a month....I don't think it could be that dirty already.

Another thing, I was reading my manual and it says I need to adjust the carb after so many hours of riding but only "by a trained Yamaha professional." I haven't touched my carb at all.....is that what it is? Is it getting too little gas or too much? Any help would be appreciated, this is starting to **** me off a lil ha.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

Its most likely the float bowls in the carb that need to be adjusted. I have never done mine but there are allot of guys on here that can walk you through it. I have heard of allot of raptors that ride fine but when they are going up a steep incline it will cut off or bog down which can be kinda dangerous in some situations.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I hope it's something simple, I would hate to have to take the carb all apart already. The thing that sux is that sometimes it even does it on straight land when I take off real fast. I never thought my fairly brand new bike would already be pissing me off haha.

I don't think it's the air filter either because I put a brand new one in and it still did it.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

i had a similar problem 2 years ago, i have a warrior 350, and it would back fire, and stall upon acceleration,
then run normal when letting off the gas. my problem was water in the gas, i drained the old gas, filled with
new, and it ran perfect.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the best way.

The best thing to do is check it before you take it apart, with a piece of clear tubing. You can get the tubing at a hardware store for 20 cents, 1/8" clear tubing.

Thu September 05, 2002 3:11 AM

The quick & easy way to check float levels is to use a clear tube that fits the dump hole on the bottom of the carbs. You'll need at least one foot of tubing. Don't worry about an exact fit, the tubing can be a little bigger which will cause some of the gas to leak out but gravity is forgiving and is constant! You can get the tubing from your Yamaha dealer for a few bucks. Remove the stock dump hole tubing, put the new tubing on there & then bend up the other end and run it along side of the carb with the open end facing up. Then open the drain screw next to where the tube is connected & the level of gas in the tube should fill up & be level with or slightly above the bottom/top half of the carb's mating surface. If not, you'll need to adjust the float levels. A sign that the float levels are too high is if the stock drain tubes leak gas while your riding, you'll smell it for sure.
I just pop the carbs on the boots and set the tank on the frame and hook up the hose to check it again, you may have to take it back off once or twice to get it perfect. I also measure the amount that it is off and then take it apart, measure the float height and then bend the tab enough to raise or lower the float the amount that it was off. If that makes any sense.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Go buy yourself a manual for the raptor.It has step by step instructions for almost everything on your quad.Has pictures also.Should be able to buy one at your dealer.It's a little expensive but worth the money.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I'm gonna buy one, I should've right away. So you guys all pretty much agree it has something to do with my carb. I might have to finally get down and check that bad-boy. Thanks for the info on how to check the floats.

I'm also gonna drain it cuz I do occassionally cross this little stream by my house. Maybe water got in there.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

To me,it was easier to just take off the front plastic.A litttle extra work but then everything is right in front of ya instead of the plastic being in the way.I think you might have already been told this.
You have fuel in the bowls.This fuel level has to be high enough to where the main jet can take on this fuel.When you hit the throttle,it raises the needle valve out of the main jet in the carbs.Thus taking fuel from the bowls.The floats are connected to a pin(not sure that's the proper name).Once the fuel level lowers enough,it lowers this pin as well as the float and fuel starts entering the bowls.This will fill up until the float rises and the pin closes the hole where the fuel enters.If the float is set wrong,the fuel level will not rise high enough to the main jet.If the fuel level is not high enough to where the main jet can get gas the motor won't get any gas either.If it's barely high enough to where it's just getting enough fuel on level ground and then you get on a hill and the fuel rushes to the back of the bowls and the main jet can't get any fuel thus starving the motor for fuel.Might sound really confusing.The manual will clear thing up.

The manual is very helpful.It will be a wise purchase.I've used the one I bought for my banshee alot.Surprised it's not worn out.LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can download the manual for free HERE It's at the bottom of the page. Having a manual is great but it does have some incorrect info in it (float level for instance) so it doesn't hurt to ask around here if your about to do a job. Definitely pull the front plastic off when you do the carbs, but you can do a quick check using the clear tube without pulling off anything but the drain hoses to connect the tubes.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

sixsixT that thing with the clear tubing, I like that idea. Good advice for a quick check.

Quick Reply: Help with my Raptor (very frustrating)