Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What bike should i pick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bike should i pick?

I drive a 03 DS650 Baja with a nice few extras added to it however its been giving me trouble lately am i am looking at selling it. Yamaha has always been my favorite brand(even though i drive a Bombardier) and i am looking at the raptor 700 and yfz 450. I am leaning more towards the yfz450 though until i read about the suzuki LT-R450. So i guess my question can you guys compare the yfz450/LT-R450 good and bad things. I don't race i do alot of off road so every one tells me to get the raptor but i still like 450's better.*Note i am not trying to start an arguement on which is faster or better i just want ppls thoughts and experiences with both bike.

03 DS650 Baja raZor tires,big gun race series exhaust,big gun rev kit, K&N air filter,jet kit,ac pro-pegs.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

What Ive read about the suzuki 450 is it is way to low and wide for anything, but racing but have no first hand experience with it. So take thats for what its worth [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

A friend just bought a YFZ 450 and it is a great quad. It handles trails alot better than alot of people give it credit for and has plenty of power. Alot of people say it feels cramped but that just depends on your size, it feels fine to me but Im only 5'8. If dont care about reverse and dont mine a stiff suspension this is a great quad for you.

Not sure if you have ruled the 700 completely out, but Ill put a few comments anyway. The 700 feels more roomy than the 450 but doesnt feel big. It feels more like a 400cc class quad sitting on it. It has alot softer suspension which is good or bad depending on what you need. I personally wouldnt want to give up reverse so is why I went with the 700. It has alot of power stock and reacts quik with the Fuel injection. Ive had mine for about a month and love it.

Like I said I bought a 700 and my buddy got a 450 and we ride the exact same area. We mainly trail ride and they both handle great. Like you said dont want to start a war here either but the 700 is faster in a drag stock for stock. Not sure on the suzuki

Good luck

just do all the research and Im sure you will be happy with any of them

Old 05-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

The dreaded 450/700 dilema[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

As bberck said, the YFZ is underestimated in the woods/trails. The suspension may be a little stiff at first for trail riding, it was for me, but it gradually grew on me and I love it. It has enough torque to do anything you really need on the trails, and it is so light that it doesnt really need reverse, you can just throw it around. Some people say they feel cramped on the YFZs but I dont feel cramped at all and im 6'/170. If you are going to be riding trails mostly though the 700 would probablly be a better choice because of the reverse and even more low end grunt. The feul injection is also a plus.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well they are both great machines. The raptor will be a bit better for trails for many. But for the way I ride the yfz is the better bet, and I can take it to the track and have a great machine too. LOL Just look for the one that stands out to you the most.