Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

second winch switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second winch switch

Hi, I am new to the forum.

I have a 2004 Yamaka Kodiak 450 4X4. I just ordered a Mile Marker 2500 winch (first winch and all I can afford right now). It has a connection for a remote switch with an 8' foot extension cord. I would like to put a Momentary On/OFF/Momentary On rocker switch on the fender area just below the shifter.

My problem is that I am inexperienced in winches and things electrical. (I know just enough to be dangerous).

First question:

Am I buying a Single Pole/Single Throw (SPST) rocker switch or a Double Pole/Double Throw rocker switch? And Why?

Second question:

Based on the answer to question #1, where exactly does each wire go? I believe the SPST switch has three connections and the DPDT has six connections.

The simpler the explanation the better (Tab A into Slot B kind of simple).

Also, Is there anyplace I can put the solenoid safely (and easily) except in the storage box under the seat. I really don't want to give up the storage space.

Your kindness will be appreciated.

agdexter

Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second winch switch

My first answer is to say it may be cheaper in the long run to get a little help from someone that knows about switching realys and motor current along with making solid dependable electrical connections that will hold up to abuse.

If it is not possible or you would like to do the work yourself, then, it depends on how the factory designed the winch to operate. More information is needed to give an answer.

Did the winch come with wiring instructions? We will need some basic idea of how the unit should be wired.