Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Accleration Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2000, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everytime I punch the throttle she bogs down and almost dies. Now I've adjusted the air mixture screw to no avail. Now I hope that was the air
mixture screw, it was right underneath the carb near the front. I adjusted in until it died , from there a little out, then a lot. Still no
difference. Any ideas?.

She's perfectly jetted at the top end.

97 Warrior, completly bone stock.

Cr

Old 11-23-2000, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

I think the idle screw is the one with the spring on the right side, the air/fuel mixture screw is on the left side no spring.. I think... I really dont have a clue.. do warriors have the TORS? on top of the carb??

Old 11-24-2000, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

Check that your accelerator pump is working.Remove the rubber air boot between the carb and airbox and look into the carb,you will see a small brass tube on the bottom before the slide.Crack the throttle(engine off)and look at the brass tube, as the slide opens it should shoot a small stream of gas into the carb.Also is your air filter clean? valves adjusted? and throw in a fresh spark plug.

Old 11-24-2000, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The adjustment you made was to the pilot screw on the underside of the carb on the left side. There is no air adjustment on that Mikuni carb. The nominal setting on the pilot screw is two turns out from seated and any adjustment here is merely a very fine tuning of an otherwise correct pilot jet. Your pilot jet controls fuel flow from idle to 1/4 throttle so you might possibly be a little on the lean side here. The stock jet is a 42.5. Possibly one size fatter pilot will do the trick.

Old 11-24-2000, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
the problem you describe is typical of the 4 stroke carbs with accelerator pumps. like the other post says, check the pump output, or you can take the side cover off the carb without removing any parts, and see if the plunger is stuck down. My 95 Wolverine was real bad at this, take the carb off,pull the bottom, ditch the flimsy spring on the accelerator pump,find a spring out of a click type pen, it is an exact fit, and much stronger. As long as there are no burrs in the hole where the pump sits, you should have no more problems with the off idle bog, unless you are jetted too lean. Hope this helps.

95 Wolverine, 98 Recon for my son

Old 11-24-2000, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

One of my riding friends had a simular problem. This might be a long shot, but it's worth the time it takes to check: It seems that if your "Forward / Reverse" selector lever is not completely engaged it effects the carbs ability to accept fuel. You may also want to check the wire that goes into the same switch, it occasionally will work itself loose and with the rubber boot holding it in place you'd never know until you look.