Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Warrior, electrical problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Warrior, electrical problem need help

I've got a Warrior I'm working on for someone, at our ATV shop, and it will not crank. It has sparl (if you remove starter and test it off bike.) the startor works, we put new relays under the rear left fender and a new key switch,, damn thing still wont crank, but it will crank if you jump across the starter.

Anyone have this problem.

And also the light gray color relay in the back that is about 3/4" wide hooks up right above the solenoid, it gets warm but the other does not.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

when trying to start it, does it make a clicking sound, but will not turn. if so, you need to replace the starter. try checking the volts going to the starter. if it is 12, and the starter isn't turning the engine, then whala. i would check that though. warrior starters do tend to go, as of any other starter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

No Man thats whats weird, you push the start button nothing happens, its getting current to it. new cdi (we had one) was installed, new relays back by rear fender, it gets spark when you try to start it by by passing all that stuff, starter runs on the ground if you remove it.

got any suggestions.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

ok do you know were your starter senolid is? do you have a VOM?(volt ohm meter). Test both sides, use the negtive on the battery for your negtive vom lead then test the side of the senolid thats connected to the battery(this makes sure the wire is good) then test the other side you should have nothing. Now while testing the lead with no power hit you start button( you should hear a click) it should jump to 13 or so if your battery is good. if you get no voltage still you starter senolid or start button is bad. Mostlikely the starter senolid. This next part can be dangrous so make sure you have someone helping your or you are experinced with electrical. Take a pair of pliers with rubber handles(MAKE SURE HAVE HANDLES NOT BARE METAL) and touch the two leads it should spark and turn your starter and you bike can start this way. Next you can test your wires up to the handle but i'll bet its your senolid.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

solenoid sounds bad, its dieing on to much of a load, enough to turn stater over while out of the bike but not enough to turn the engine over also, also could be its grounding out or the wires around the solenoid,battery,starter are corroded or frayed, have you looked at the starter brushes and plate also for the heck of it? you dont really have to buy an yamaha OEM solenoid, alot of auto parts stores sell something very similar for cheaper that works fine.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

You did check the fuse where the solenoid is right? I bought one last fall and the seller said it needed a solenoid. Turned out the fuse was blown.