Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Jetting

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Jetting

My recently purchased 2003 Wolverine came with an FMF MegaMax slip on. Currently, it's running 9 discs. From research on FMF's site, you should run no less than 8. I'd like to upgrade to a pro-flow with a K&N sometime in the future, but for now, the stock airbox and filter will have to do.

What should I do for jetting? What size main would you guys recomend? Do these carbs have needle clips so I can just lower the clip one grove to richen things up?

Those aftermarket jet kits are nice, but I can't see spending $50 on that vs. going to the dealer and picking up a few extra jets for maybe $10......

Old 06-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I would think, youd need to go at least one size up on the main jet.
Yes it has a needle, but that only effects the mid throttle, not wide open or idle circuits.
Youre right about those jet kits, you pay alot for that piece of paper in there. You can order jets for about 2.50 a piece from denniskirk, and do the job yourself.
Just be aware of the drivability symptoms, and jet from there.
Heres a good article on jetting how to.
jetting and symptoms

Old 06-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Cool. I figured raising the clip may not be a bad idea since it will help richen things up a bit. Plus, that's a "freebie" mod anyways. LOL.

I'll take a lot at that article, looks interesting!

Old 06-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

What is your Main jet now? I believe my Stock Main was 143ish, you could try a 145, but you should not have to go bigger than that. With my motor and stock carb, I'm only at 150-152 and that is still a hair on the rich side.

Also, you should NOT have to lower the clip on the needle. I have an oxygen sensor/meter that I use to aid in tuning and even with my radical mods, my needle is still in the stock position. I was way rich at 1/2 throttle with the clip lowered one notch.

I have an Edelbrock carb on the way. I can't wait to get it on and start tuning on it.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Tom, that's really helpful. I'm assuming it's the stock jet in there now. A guy I ride with has the same machine I do and he's running a 143 or 145 with just a slip on. Sounds like that should do the trick. The needle advice is really helpful. That saves me from messing with that.

How does one change the main on these carbs? Just pull off the bowl and work from the bottom?

Old 06-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Range Rover

Yes, you are correct. You just pull off the bowl and you'll see the main screwed into the bottom of the tube that runs to the bottom of the bowl. Keep track of the brass washer when you unscrew the main jet.

The easiest way to change the main is to loosen both clamps, one securing the intake and the other the air box boot and turning the whole carb so you can access the bowl screws from the LT side (shifter side). You will be able to twist the carb about 45 deg and you can then use a 90 deg ratcheting screwdriver or a 1/4" socket / ratchet with a phillips bit in it. Be careful tightening the main jet. You want it snug, but not so tight as to crack the tube.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, now that sounds pretty simple! I just need to pick up a spare jet or two.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

I took care of this tonight...very easy! I'm looking forward to testing it out. I went from the stock to a 145 main.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Update.

I ran two rides with the 145 main...about 75 miles total. After the first ride, I upgraded to a Noss machine intake with a K&N and Outerwear. At the last ride, I smelled a bit of gas when stopped. When I got home, I pulled the airbox cover and took off the filter. On the inside of the carb intake tube, there was a little gasoline residue.

Here's what the sparkplug looked like. That was new as well....2 rides, 75 miles.

Plug 1

Plug 2

The plug looks rich..but not that rich.

I'm debating dropping down the main to a 142.5.

I'm getting conflicting information as to what a stock jet is. My service manual says it's a 135...but if I go to online parts sites, they say 141.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone?

Quick Reply: Wolverine Jetting