Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need help with warrior!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with warrior!

i just bought this quad yesterday and a had to buy a battery for it and today was the first day i rode it. i rode for about an hour not even beating it and the damn thing cuts out on me. i start it back up and it starts right up, i give it gas and it boggs out it is good for about half throtttle but once you get past half throttle the thing cuts out and boggs. i took the air filter off to see if thats what it was and it still did it, so i then took some carb cleaner and sprayed it in the carb and it was still the same. I also checked the spark plugg and that was still like new? can anyone help suggestions please.

-thanks

Old 06-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Common problem is the rev limiter connected to the parking brake. I would rule this out first. On the clutch perch there are two plugs that go in it. The top one is the parking brake sensor make sure this is disengageing properly. The parking brakes are junk and alot of people remove them totally.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

hmm well i put that on and it stalled out this was after it was already messed up i dunno maybe ill mess with it , wats the point in the parking brake all it does is prevent you from giving it gas?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Did you check and make sure the thing is getting gas? Is there crap in the gas? Did you check what hooks the aircleaner to the motor (I know on my warrior theres this kind of big plastic tube that goes from aircleaner to motor) and see if theres crap in there? Did you yank your carbs, take them apart and clean them? Can you verify you have good spark, just because your spark plug looks good does not automatically mean you are getting spark, easiest way to test Spark is to hold the plug against the side of the motor and see if it'll spark (at least thats what my dad does, I'm too big of a baby to do it). I recommend having someone else hold the plug against the motor or someone else start it, significantly reduces your likelihood of getting fried, I'd also wear gloves and you must hold the plug at the wire, do not hold the plug itself (helps protect you from getting fried). Do not touch the base of the plug to the engine, you will get fried! Also, I recommend just replacing the plug, some plugs will actually look like they fire fine in air, but not fire correctly under load.

That would cover basically everything you need for your motor to run: Spark, Fuel, Air. Next step from there would be a problem in your electronics, as far as your CDI and so forth are concerned. Assuming your bike has a CDI, I know my 02 does. Next step from what I said would definately be a wiring deal, if you don't have a CDI.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Its just a safety feature, when you apply the parking brake it is suppose to lock the rear wheels but it also has a sensor that prevents the motor from reving over so high (forget what it is). I bought a SRP parking brake block off and competely removed the parking brake then unplugged the sensor under the hood.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

well i kno it has spark cause it starts right up and idles fine. my only problem is i cant go faster than 20 mph cause i cant give it more that half throttle and i already to the air filter off and started it so that can eliminate air and spark. i will have to clean out the carb but any mor sugestions?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

You can have enough spark to start and idle, but not enough for more throttle. Which suggests it's not lighting the additional fuel, are you having back fire problems than that? If you have the big plastic tube between your air filter and the motor, it's like a PCV, and you can have problems if you have crap in there. I would still recommend replacing the plug, it's a cheap thing to replace. Remove the carbuertor and strip it down when you clean it. If the plug and carbuertor don't do it, and you've checked your fuel delivery system, your gonna have an electronics problem more than likely. Thankfully this issue does not sound like an actual motor problem.

It could possibly be carb jetting as well, I know if it's royally out to lunch, it'll act like that.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

thanx alot sprint ill have to get my dad on that we will get it going ill let you know what it is.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

Anytime, feel free to throw me one if it doesn't work.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

any more suggestions gonna try to fix it tom morning and go riding so id like to get some more ideas?

Quick Reply: I need help with warrior!