Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Warrior Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Warrior Shifting Problems

I own a 1987 Yamaha Warrior and I've recently comes across some issues with the shifting of gears, specifically shifting back into neutral. The shifting has become much more difficult from neutral through the rest of the gears as well and sometimes it will take a good 5 minutes to engage the atv back into neutral. It feels as if the peg will get stuck and not allow for any shifting. Usually, I will have to stomp on the peg and upshift and then down shift a few times and eventually it will fall back into neutral. Sometimes I will allow the clutch to slip for a bit and then it will allow for the gear to drop into neutral. I have this problem with first gear and neutral. I never have had this problem before so I was hoping to get some guidance on what to do. If anyone has experienced this, I would appreciate it if someone could share a possible adjustment or fix that was done.

Thank you!!

Old 06-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

bent shift fork most likely .. my dad's quad is so bad it is like having a neutral lockout.. you have to shut off the quad to get it in neutral..

Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

im not trying to be an overly simple here but it may not be bent...

yamaha's lovely linkage...created notchy shifting espescially on a warrior. we used to have to spray ours with wd40 or some good silicon spray pretty often and it solved the problem for the most part...until the next fix of WD! i stomped pretty hard on my shifter before and never bent it- so unless you or anyone else went nuts on it and totally abused it, then it may not be bent just alittle stuck and needs lube. spray ALL the linkage pretty good. soak it down, then move the shifter as you spray. if that doesnt help, start replacing stuff...

let us know how it turns out.