Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 Wolverine Carb issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Wolverine Carb issue

I've been fighting a carb problem for a while now on my Wolverine and was hoping someone could give me some advice. On a cold start after it's been sitting for a while, it stalls after a few seconds and gas runs out the hose coming from the bowl until I shut it off at the tank valve. Each time it has done this, I've had to take off the bowl and clean out some very fine, loose black grit in the bottom of the bowl. After it's put back together, it usually starts and runs fine. I tried a fuel line filter but it didn't help. Also changed the fuel line from the tank valve to the carb thinking the old one was bad, no luck there either. Gas tank was clean after inspecting the filters too. I can't seem to pinpoint the problem, and it's annoying having to tear apart the carb every time I go riding. After it's warmed up, it starts back up again just fine, no problems at all. Anyone run into similar problems?

Old 07-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Are you running only pure gas...no additives, like octane booster or methenal?

Old 07-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Are you running only pure gas...no additives, like octane booster or methenal?
No, just pump gas.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

What kind of fuel filter did you put on? Is it an automotive, type with a paper eliment? Or the motorcycle type with the brass strainer? The automotive type with the paper style element works better.
There should be a sediment bowl, which is combined with the gas tank valve. Did you drop that and look in there?

Old 07-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

The gas line filter had a brass strainer. I drained the gas from the tank and dropped the valve and everything was clean, no signs of dirt or grit at all, even on the bottom "reserve" drain filter. After seeing that, I thought the line itself might be bad, so I replaced it (I had a spare piece anyways), but it didn't make a difference. Where else could it be coming from, somewhere from inside the carb itself?

Old 07-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The only thing i can think of is the needle and float seat. The needle section i made of vitron, and its a black material. Have you pulled out the float, and looked at the needle and seat?

Old 07-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder if the float valve is bad. You may want to try replacing that and see if it solves the problem.

I purchased a carb rebuild kit awhile back for my 200X trike. The new float vlave did not work properly and would cause gas to pour out of the overflow. I put in the stock float valve and all has been fine since.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

your problem is the carb vent,i just went through this on my g/f's bike the dirt accumilates in the float bowl and plugs the main jet,yamaha has a bulletin on it,you have to put a small filter on your carb vent line,then you will be ok,i put the filter on hers and after a few rides there was some dirt trapped in the filter,if you want i can get you the part number as i still have the bag,but im on holidays till tues night...so let me know..

Old 07-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

I imagine there's a few of us that would appreciate that part number.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 007raptor
your problem is the carb vent,i just went through this on my g/f's bike the dirt accumilates in the float bowl and plugs the main jet,yamaha has a bulletin on it,you have to put a small filter on your carb vent line,then you will be ok,i put the filter on hers and after a few rides there was some dirt trapped in the filter,if you want i can get you the part number as i still have the bag,but im on holidays till tues night...so let me know..
007raptor, Thats probably whats wrong, and good suggestion.

Quick Reply: 2003 Wolverine Carb issue