Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee spark arrester?for silver lake michigan dunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default banshee spark arrester?for silver lake michigan dunes

Hi, a freind and I are goin to silver lake mich to ride the dune on the 28-30 july. My question is- does the banshee or any other 2 stroke have to run a spark arrester? Also, my freinds banshee has inframe drag pipes, I think they are shearer's. Will these pass a sound check at silver lake? I think the decibal limit is like 96-98 db, and his banshee is kinda loud when opened up. Do these pipes offer quiet cores if too loud? I know this is asking alot but I am tryin to find out as much as possible before we get there and realize he's not within limits. Thanks, RUSS

Old 07-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

my buddy got a toomy huss kit (sp?) silencer thing on his sheaer pipes( after drilling) and it sounds and works great....

Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you need spark arrestors. You can buy them there at duneland, but they're about 150 bucks or so.

Sound limit is 96, but they usually don't bother people at 98. Sorry I can't help you on the noise level for the shearers, never heard any tested.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally posted by: maddog56
Yes you need spark arrestors. You can buy them there at duneland, but they're about 150 bucks or so.

Sound limit is 96, but they usually don't bother people at 98. Sorry I can't help you on the noise level for the shearers, never heard any tested.
they're ptetty loud... sound GREAT but pretty loud

Old 07-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help. Anymore info will be appreciated.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

the shearer end caps can almost directly bolt onto the toomy hush kit...

Old 07-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The other option is the cobra slip on sparkys. In either case, add-on spark arrestors are pretty ugly.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

lol people that have never ben there dont talk!! I was just at silver lake and you dont even need the orv stickers, They just ask you if you have them. Every banshee out there had loud pipes and amost every quad was over 100 D's. Dont lisen to these people that just go and read there web site. There really relaxed over there and you will not have a problem even with out a spark arestor. Oh ya i stayed at the state park up there. Good times. There are a tun of raptor 660, 700, YFZ450.400EX and banshees

Old 07-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

Silent101 is right they dont care all they do is look in the back of your pipe as you drive in you dont even have to stop so dont be stupid and be reving it up and you will have no problems at all. and i will also be up there that weekend hope to c u and maybe drag.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents, I was there with my son the last week of June, and the dB limit is 94, not 96, my son got tested every time we went through,his was 95 db with a Supertrapp IDS with 8 discs,and they use a stick to check for a spart arrestor, so you don't go in with an open core, and when they did a sound check, THEY rev your quad, not you, so trying to sneak by at low speed won't work unless they are being very careless, or you are real lucky. My Wolverine even got looked at the first time, since I had an aftermarket end cap on my stock silencer, but after that,they just checked for a screen on the end an let me pass, I was still pretty quiet compared to a lot of other quads. My son was told they would let as much as 98 db pass, but I'll bet a lot of that would have to do with the attitude of the rider, give them a lot of guff about checking you, and they might make sure you don't pass. I didn't see or hear very loud pipes going out on the dunes, a lot of aftermarket, but they all were within the rules. I even saw a couple of the Toomey Hush kits on Banshees, they really make a difference,almost stock dB, but still high performance. So don't go out there with your race pipe and think you'll walk right by, maybe in the middle of the week, when it is real slow, but on a busy weekend, they can pick and choose who goes out and who won't.

Quick Reply: banshee spark arrester?for silver lake michigan dunes