Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MY STOLEN EX= 2 DEAD BOYS (NOT JOKING!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY STOLEN EX= 2 DEAD BOYS (NOT JOKING!!!)

My 2004 Honda ex was stolen from me on April 18th. The police contacted me today about this:
Clues developed in deadly crash

By Amelia A. Pridemore
REGISTER-HERALD REPORTER

Beckley City Police investigators have put together several pieces of the puzzle in determining how a Friday ATV/minivan accident that killed two young men actually happened.

Timothy Mark Ames Jr., 23, and Mark Hurtte, 18, both of Beckley, died in the 6:50 p.m. accident at the intersection of Russell Street and Wildwood Avenue, said Cpl. David Allard of the Beckley Police Department.

Ames and Hurtte were involved in an accident with a 1999 Chevrolet Astro van in which Ames was driving an ATV and Hurtte was a passenger on the ATV, Allard said.

Lt. Tim Deems, day shift supervisor for the department and an accident reconstruction expert, said Monday the van’s driver, Michael Parker, 19, of Beckley, was headed west on Russell near the Wildwood intersection and Ames was driving the ATV north on Wildwood. Deems said Ames failed to stop at a stop sign at the intersection. Parker had the right-of-way because there was no stop sign for his direction of travel on Russell, the officer added.

Ames’ ATV struck the van’s driver’s side front fender, Deems said. Before the vehicles collided, Parker took evasive action by locking his brakes and steering to the right.

After impact, the van struck a utility pole at the intersection, Deems said. The impact also pushed Ames’ ATV into a pine tree. Both Ames and Hurtte were ejected. Whether the ATV rolled after impact is unknown.

Witnesses stated that Ames was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, Deems said. However, it was not strapped on. Hurtte was not wearing a helmet and Ames’ helmet flew off at impact, according to Deems.

Parker sustained minor injuries, mostly caused by the deployment of the van’s airbags, Deems said. A passenger in the van, Parker’s 17-year-old sister, was not injured. Parker was not taken to a hospital.

No citations have been issued at this time.

Deems said police can say Parker was not drinking at the time of the accident, and there was no indication of reckless driving on his part. The only traffic violations Ames apparently committed were running the stop sign and violating a city ordinance which forbids ATV operation on city streets. Police have been unable to determine the speed of both vehicles.

The investigation is ongoing, Deems noted. He noted there are still loose ends the police must clear up, but he declined to elaborate on those aspects of the investigation.

Cpl. R.E. Redden was the investigating officer in the accident. Redden said Deems, Cpl. S.D. Webb, Sgt. Frankie Shelton, Cpl. Jeff Trump, Capt. Tomi Peck, Cpl. J.G. Martin, Cpl. J.D. Perry, Senior Trooper Dave Williams of the West Virginia State Police’s Beckley detachment and two State Police Turnpike Division troopers assisted with the incident.

— E-mail: apridemore@register-herald.com

The cops had me go to the impound yard to see if it was mine....It was and it had blood all over it.
What do you guys think about that?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope it was insured.

Swift justus. =]

Old 07-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

It was. Through State Farm. I paid $3250 for it in November, and State Farm wrote me a check for $3,950.
Whoever stole it actually CUT the frame where the VIN# was (don't ask me how), which weakened the frame to the extent that it MAY have caused the accident.
If they did not steal it...I hope whoever did (thereby CAUSING this) rots in Hell.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

All I can say is.............WOW! Bummer for the parents, thats for sure.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

How did you determine it was yours if the vin was scratched? Anyway them boys have now left the gene pool....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

No point is wearing a helmet if it is not strapped on, should have not been on the street any way. How did you determine if it was yours?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
All I can say is.............WOW! Bummer for the parents, thats for sure.
Thats the only sad point. =[

Old 07-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

The mechanics from the Honda shop went with me to look at it, and there apparently is a hidden number in the motor. That's how they did it.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

wow thats pretty g@y...

Old 07-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

That is werd. Also, you can kinda tell if it is your quad by what mods you have on it... Kinda nasty to have blood on your quad too. lol.

Quick Reply: MY STOLEN EX= 2 DEAD BOYS (NOT JOKING!!!)