Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine power upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine power upgrades

I'm about to do some stage 1 upgrades to my 2004 wolvy, and I was wondering what everyone else was running and felt seemed to be the best combinations. I was thinking about a K&N with the billet adaptor (better sealing), a jet kit, and an exhaust. Its the last one thats really bothering me. Would a slip on be better, or an entire system, head pipe and all? I want a system that works together, and doesn't end up robbing more than it produces( it should produce enough backpressure to draw the next exhaust pulse out). I was also curious about a clutch kit, I'm turning 25" tires. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Everything that you have named sounds great. If you jet it correctly it will run pretty good. As far as the pipe is concerned, you only need a slip on. DMC and I think DG are the only companies that make full systems anyway, and I am pretty sure that both of them work great. The reason that the Wolverine and Warrior both dont have alot of full-systems availiable for them is because the header pipe is actually oversized from the factory, so going even bigger will take away from the bottom end. I really dont think that the DMC and the DG are very much bigger in diameter if at all but I know they still work great on a stock bike. They actually make whats known as a torque stuffer for the Wolv and Warrior. The way that this works is that it is a small insert that fits into the begining of the header pipe and works as an initial reducer to speed up exhaust velocity and produce a little more back pressure which gives it a little more cylinder pressure without limiting top end power. With your 25's you should be running at about 63mph top speed.

About a clutch kit. If you are going to do it, I would go with the manual clutch.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

I bought a jet kit and Uni filter for my Wolverine and it came with a Cobra pipe. The jet kit woke it up from just having a pipe on it. Now I know Cobra is not the best exhaust company but that's what came with my Wolverine, I am planning on getting another pipe because it's way too loud, I do not recommend a Cobra pipe. I know many people with HMF pipes and they do work good. I've heard lots of good things about the EPI clutch kit for the Wolverines(Highlifter sells the same kit under their name), they are good for bigger tires. I know you can buy an aftermarket cam that will increase top end power but you will lose low end power from it. A good thing to do if you want to get into the engine and spend a little money is bore it out, you will gain power with a bigger bore.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One great add-on for any Wolverine is the Warn 424, it allows you to disconnect the front end and put all the power to the rear wheels, makes a big difference in trail riding, you can powerslide the corners like a sport quad, turns easier and tighter. Not the cheapest mod, but it really makes a difference if you trail ride a lot or don't want 4wd all the time. You might want to go with a Uni filter instead of the K&N, the Uni is better for dust and wet and muddy conditions, where the K&N is better for sand and cleaner riding areas, but what you run is you decision, that's just my opinion. EPI makes a clutch kit that puts stiffer springs on your centrifugal clutch, raising your engagement rpms, that will help turn bigger tires with fewer engine mods.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Trailblazer

One of the first things I did was add a 424, thanks for the advice with the Uni over a K&N 95wolv, I'll definitely see alot more mudholes vs. sanddunes. Now if anyone out there could offer some extra feedback on exhaust systems, say HMF vs Supertrapp or any other top systems, I'll have this thing built up for some serious spring riding!!!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Dont forget skids. I highly reccomend the Highlifter.com aluminum skidplate package. I got the whole 3 piece set with the diamond plate up front and the bottom skid but definatly get a bottom skid for it. if your going to be running mud and rocks its so worth it. ive hammered mine and taken a gash in it here or there but its integrity has never been questions thus far and I ride hard

Old 09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CT makes a great point, skid protection is absolute must have for aggressive trail riding, one wrong rock or stump, and you can be looking at serious damage. I am running the Yamaha aftermarket aluminum front bash plate, UHMW belly skid, PRM a arm guards, they are great, they are 2 pieces that clamp top and bottom to the a arm, really protects and reinforces them. To wrap the package up, I bought a DG rear arm skid, very heavy duty, will bounce off big rocks no problem. As far as an exhaust, Supertrapp is nice,being able to tune with discs for noise/power without having to do a lot of disassembly is nice, but there are a lot of other good brands out there, just make sure to get the quiet cores, HMF and Big Gun will really bark if you run the more open cores. And don't wait for spring to ride!!, remember that it takes a bit of snow to stop a good quad !

Old 09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I definately recommend skid plates also, in addition to the protection they help you slide over stuff more easily (no exposed frame cross-members to catch on a stump or rock). The only hassle is having to drop the frame skid plate to get the mud off of it after serious mudding, but that's just part of the deal. As far as exhausts, I put a White Brothers E-series pipe on my quad (tunable by changing the number of discs), and the quality is excellent. Not sure if you can still get the E-series, but they have newer models out now.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

Bringing this one back from the dead..... Just finished up in the garage, went with a K&N replacement filter (the cheaper stock type version), a Supertrapp IDS2, an NGK Iridium, EPI clutch spring kit, a Yamaha skid plate, Moose 50" plow, and Moose heated grips. Got a little too western though, managed to split my front plastic right down the middle from the bars to the headlights (shortcutting, dont ask!). Now, for the millionth time on these forums, how does a guy change and check his carb jetting? I've got a Dynojet kit sitting here, the instruct.s are pretty straight-forward, but I've never had any luck with carbs. Thanks in advance. For the record, its turning into a wild little unit!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

The jets just screw out with a straight-head screwdriver. Just read the directions and it will tell you which jet to replace your stock one with. The needle requires entry from the top of the carb. though instead of the bottom. Its not hard just start tinkering with it and you will learn. Its like taking anything else apart, just remember how it goes together and dont take too much apart at once. The only way to get good with it is to dig in and play with it.

As long as you remember how it goes in, its really hard to mess it up.

Quick Reply: wolverine power upgrades