Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2004 Raptor 350 Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Raptor 350 Starter?

I have a 2004 Raptor 350 with very low Hours on the motor. We went riding in Long Barn over the Holiday weekend and my son tells me that the started will not shut off. When we kill the motor and restart it, the motor starts and the electric starter keeps running. We took the starter apart and every thing seems to be clear. But when we put it back together again we had the same problem. So we left it alone for 2 days and now the problem is gone. Is it time to replace the starter, rebuild it or is it something else I should check?

Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

The only way the starter will engage is if power is going to it. Sounds like your starter is doing what it is supposed to.

So the first thing I would look at and the easiest is the starter switch on the handle bars. My bet would be it is hanging up and the contacts inside are making contact. Take the switch housing apart and give it a good cleaning. My bet is that will fix it. If it doesn't then the next thing would be your starter relay. Next time it hangs up give the relay a couple of good taps to see if this disengages it.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

The first thing I did was take the switch apart and cleaned it, then we hit the relay no luck.

this was really weird because the only time the starter would stay engaged was when the motor was running.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Theres nothing wrong with the starter, but there is a problem somewhere.

Does it sound like the starter is constantly being powered and running at a constant speed, or just getting dragged along by the engine as the rpms rise and fall because the starter clutch isn't disengaging?

Old 09-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

constant power not dragging at all

Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

Maybee you got a bad solenoid?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it happens again try disconnecting the signal wire from the solenoid (small wire). If the starter shuts off, then your solenoid is good and the problem is between the solenoid and your starter button, but if it kept running you have a stuck solenoid.

Did the starter turn off when the key was turned off? If it did, then we can already say that the solenoid is ok, if the solenoid was stuck it would keep running regardless of the key.

One possibility other than a shorted wire that I can think of would be moisture in the wires. If he was riding in water around the time that the problem started happening, water could have gotten into a connector somewhere and shorted the wiring temporarily, that would explain why it was ok after it sat for a few days, because that would be enough time to dry out. I'd let it go and see if it happens again first, and if it does start by getting some dielectric grease and packing all of the electrical connections to the harness with it.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:40 AM
Trailblazer

Still having the same problem. I put a new starter motor in and that did not fix the issue. I started the motor and disconnected the power wire and the starter is still running

Old 11-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As I said already, there's nothing wrong with your starter.

What is making you think the starter is still running? The only way possible for that starter to be spinning when power isn't being applied to the terminal is if the starter clutch is stuck, but you already said that the starter runs at a constant speed, not going up and down with the rpms of the engine.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I guess he didn't read what you said even though it was loud and clear recon I would have to say that it would be either an electrical problem or the person behind the wheel...I would think it would be that the starter relay isn't working...Does the starter turn when the key is off? How do you know that the starter is still going even when the quad is running? can you give some more info because something is either messed up electrically or something is engagin when it isn't suposed to...I would go over to what recon had said before and recheck yourself or get a multimeter and go over all of the connections again(starter,rectifier,starter relay,key switch,controls)

Quick Reply: 2004 Raptor 350 Starter?