Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster in the winter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 00' blasters and they both are useless in the snow. If there is more than a 1/2 inch on the ground I can hardly move anywhere. In deep snow it just bottoms out and sits there. I have stock front tires and ITP holeshots in the rear. What tires should I be running in the rear? Also the breaks are all froze when it is very cold. I have none at all. The back I can break free then they stick ON and will not release. Also I have been using KLOTZ techniplate oil. People have advised me against using this in the winter. which oil should I be using for cold weather? If anyone could give me some info on winter riding this machine I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
~Timewass

Old 12-04-2000, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

I would say to go back to the Yamalube oil for winter use...some oils tend to seperate in cold conditions.

The brakes will always freeze on the blaster. Not much your going to be able to do about that unless you want to spend the money on converting to hydro.

Not sure about the tires. I never use the blaster for breaking trails...your right...it gets stuck in just a few inches if it wet snow or crusty on the top. Stays parked for most of the winter...just way too much snow for wheelers where I live. I would think that anything with a deeper tread pattern would help.

Old 12-04-2000, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

About brakes, whatever you have, be careful...even hydraulic brakes won't always work fine. I almost ate a tree for diner sunday...We were riding and crossed a nice water hole (50 feet long, and in some places 1, 1-1/2 feet deep). Xplor broke the ice -2" thick-(that was cool to watch) with his 600 lbs REVERSE trail quad, while I was waiting for him to finish the Ice breaker job. I went through (did have a hard time). We stopped right after, I went through again on his scrambler, twice, and we were back riding our normal machines. We get in the woods, first curve, I hit the brakes...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH NOTHING. Frozen. I pull as hard as I can...the ice breaks and lets me pull the lever, but the brakes still aren't very efficient. Lucky I could go straight on that one.
Watch out for frozen brakes after water crossing!!!

Old 12-06-2000, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

man i dont have a problem with my blaster in the snow and that was when i still the stock tiers it has not snowed enogh for me to try my bandits it just takes a bit of practice to manuver the blaster in snow next time it snows make sure the trany gets real warm before you ride it also helps to keep the revs up (as always with two strokes)
as for your breaks just keep them lubed thats all it takes for me but i dont know how cold it gets where you are
and as for your i run the same stuff mine has not died yet same deal with my frinds 250r
if i can help you in any other way e-mail me