Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine oil

Speedy....He was correct when he explain how the oil works in relation to the viscosity at start up and then at normal temperature. But if your using 20-50 in your quad it's not going to start in January. Maybe he dosn't ride in the winter. As for as having no protection at start up, you still would have the same level of protection. The oil is designed to be lighter when cold to make for easier cold starts, that's all. I just went through this in the Polaris forum last week and it got ugly. The bottom line is this.....choose any oil you like that is compatible with your machine and a weight that is compatible to the climate you ride in and you will be fine. I'm sure one oils just as good as the next. I personally choose Amsoil and I highly recomend it but you use what you want. The fella arguing with me the other day in Polaris was using Rotella T, which was designed for big diesel engines.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default engine oil

Sorry speedy, but you're wrong. 0 is thin, 50 is thick. And yes, you can use about any brand of oil you like, that doesn't matter, but call yamaha and ask them what to put in a 660 raptor. I bet they say yamaha lube 20w40 in the summer and maybe a 10w40 in the winter, the book probably even says that. All i'm saying is that in todays high performance engines more protection is always better, especially the way people ride motorcycles and atvs, usually full throttle, wide open, taking off before warming, that sorta thing. I'm sure the amsoil 0w40 works fine, i just think a 20w50 would work better, thats all, just my opinion.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default engine oil

Originally posted by: BassBlaster
Speedy....He was correct when he explain how the oil works in relation to the viscosity at start up and then at normal temperature. But if your using 20-50 in your quad it's not going to start in January. Maybe he dosn't ride in the winter. As for as having no protection at start up, you still would have the same level of protection. The oil is designed to be lighter when cold to make for easier cold starts, that's all. I just went through this in the Polaris forum last week and it got ugly. The bottom line is this.....choose any oil you like that is compatible with your machine and a weight that is compatible to the climate you ride in and you will be fine. I'm sure one oils just as good as the next. I personally choose Amsoil and I highly recomend it but you use what you want. The fella arguing with me the other day in Polaris was using Rotella T, which was designed for big diesel engines.
I'm pretty sure the rotella is a good quad oil as well.....do a search....a lotta knowledge in here already

Old 09-26-2006, 02:15 AM
Range Rover
Default engine oil

Maybe it is I don't know, Im just saying that it was designed for big diesel engines not an atv. I personally prefer to use an oil designed specifically for an atv. Why don't they sell Rotella at the bike shop? My guess would be the same reason they don't sell Amsoil at the truck stop.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default engine oil

I run 0w40 amsoil in my bike and my banshee tranny. Its the best stuff you can get for any motor. Ive strained my oil the past few changes in my bike and there is 0 metal fibers.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Range Rover
Default engine oil

Ive always used amsoil in my banshee and my jet skiis. I trust Amsoil 100% on the 4 strokes i started the new ones with GN4 and just didnt change over. On the rhino i used amsoil as well - JT

Old 09-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default engine oil

And it looks like the winner is....... AMSOIL!!!

Old 09-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default engine oil

I work for the largest oil company in the world, and am in the operations end of it, and do you know what I use? The cheapest crap I get from the Co-op. As long as it's 10-40 wt., without friction modifiers. I've been running ATV's, including 3 wheelers, since 1983, and I have yet to ever rebuild an engine, or need to. I keep fresh oil in 'em, and keep the valves adjusted.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default engine oil

Originally posted by: JLsparky7
I run 0w40 amsoil in my bike and my banshee tranny. Its the best stuff you can get for any motor. Ive strained my oil the past few changes in my bike and there is 0 metal fibers.
You probably wont find any metal on your oil un less there has been a serious malfunction in the motor or trans. In the big diesel world we take oil samples and have them analized at a lab to tell usthe health of our motors. I am sure rotella would hold up to a four wheeler motor, a big cat diesel runs about 25 to 1 compression, but I wouldnt use it

Old 09-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default engine oil

Originally posted by: BassBlaster
Maybe it is I don't know, Im just saying that it was designed for big diesel engines not an atv. I personally prefer to use an oil designed specifically for an atv. Why don't they sell Rotella at the bike shop? My guess would be the same reason they don't sell Amsoil at the truck stop.
The reason you don't see amsoil sold in a truck stop isn't because they don't make oil for diesels. Is because of there marketing. They make a oil for diesels thats alot better than Shell Rotella.

Amsoil also makes a 10W-40 and 20w-50 for motorcycles that will work in ATV's just as well if you think the 0w-40 is to thin.