Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster rebuild? What does redoing the Top End entail?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster rebuild? What does redoing the Top End entail?

Rings and gaskets, or do I need the whole piston and everything?
Is the piston hard to get back in?
Is it possible for me to put a new sleeve in myself?

I am mechanically inclined, but don't have any special tools, just wrenches and stuff.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't catch what year it was. I would say that it probably needs a good hone job and new rings and gaskets. Honing it puts the cross hatch marks back in your cylinder wall and that's what makes your rings seal. When it's smooth you leak comp. and that's when it needs rebuilt.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Resleeving defiantly something you shouldn't try yourself. It is easy to install a piston. Anyways sounds like you need a service manual and to do some research about two stroke engines. We all had to learn sometime how to rebuild engines two strokes are the easiest. Here is a link to a site that has a online service manual, technical info on blasters, and links to blaster sites.

Rydin Dirty

Old 10-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

Why couldn't I re-sleeve the cylinder? I don't need a ring compressor? Oil it up real good and I can convince the piston and new rings back in? How low would the compression be to need the top to be redone? it's an 03.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

just a question its 4 yrs old. what type of matenence did u perform on it daily? or the day u went out ridin?

Old 10-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Range Rover

I got it used, and it looks WELL RIDDEN. I have no idea of the maintenance, if any, done on it. This will be my "project". From top to bottom, I'll take it apart, clean it, fix/replace what ever is broken, ... So, any help is appreciated.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

well atleast u got the updated brakes from the raptor. this is what i know. not pertaning to ur problem. if u change the case oil every 3 rides, make sure u have 2 cycle oil plus have a clean air filter ur set. well atleast after u get it rebuilt. maybe bore it over make it a 240?

Old 10-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Range Rover

Why can't I put the sleeve in?

Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know how they even do it. I imagine they use a press or heat up the cylinder. Why are you determined to change the liner? Your sleeve should have bores left on it. Are you looking at big bore, if so you should check out CT racing or Project Blaster they have big bore kits that include new cylinders with improved ports.
Project Blaster
CT Racing

Old 10-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Redoing the top end is going to involve replacing the gaskets (head and base), new rings, new piston, and possibly a new wrist pin bearing. You shouldn?t have to resleeve the cylinder unless it has been bored out many times. If that's the case you might be better off just finding new cylinder to freshen up. If you have the equipment and know how you could rebore the cylinder you self but that it going to involve a mill, a bore gage, and a micrometer to machine and measure the cylinder to check for proper clearance. I had the top end on my blaster done by Hickman Racing in Iowa for $160.00 and that included the new piston and rings. If you leave it up to the machine shop they can bore and hone the cylinder to perfectly match the piston. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Blaster rebuild? What does redoing the Top End entail?