Default Raptor 660 wont start

i can confirm, gas is flowing from the tank through the line to the carb

Old 11-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: thesuffering
Are you getting spark or no spark when pushing the starter button with the spark plug removed, plugged into the wire, and grounded to the engine? Are you getting spark or no spark AFTER you let off the starter button?

Old 11-25-2006, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

So I took my quad to Glamis a couple weeks ago. Rode it around for about a day, took it up and down oldsmobile a couple times, and then turned it off at the bottom to watch everyone else. thats where my problems begin. since then i havent been able to get it started. it just wont turn over. I replaced the inline fuel filter last night, did nothing. Replaced the spark plug today, the old one was really black, but even with the new one, it just wont start. i didnt gap it, but will that make a difference?

im not sure what is wrong...anyone care to chime in with any ideas?

did ya put a hole in ur piston?

Old 11-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Temper50
Are you getting spark or no spark when pushing the starter button with the spark plug removed, plugged into the wire, and grounded to the engine? Are you getting spark or no spark AFTER you let off the starter button?
like ive said i can only get it to spark, but it seems real random. it seems that it only sparks when i let off the starter button, but i cant get it to do it consistantly. like i said, it sparks once, and then wont do it again for a while...

Old 11-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

Be sure you're grounding the spark plug really well, hate to see you spend money on something you may not need for your quad. If I were you, I'd either buy a service manual for your specific model and follow its steps on diagnosing & testing the ignition componants, or take it to someone who can diagnose it further for you...

Old 11-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Temper50
Be sure you're grounding the spark plug really well, hate to see you spend money on something you may not need for your quad. If I were you, I'd either buy a service manual for your specific model and follow its steps on diagnosing & testing the ignition componants, or take it to someone who can diagnose it further for you...
pulled out the service manual and tested continuity:
coil:good
switches:good
pickup coil:good
charging/rotor rotation direction detection coil: no good i think...it says resistance should read .069-.085 ohms, when i hook up to the wires it reads 0 ohms.

now it says if its out of spec to replace the pickup coil/stator assembly. think i should start there?

Old 11-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

ran another test. put the + lead on my multimeter to the stator wires and the - to bare metal. This should read to infinity, however it gives me a reading, so that should mean that the stator is grounded, thus being no good.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

this happend with my tractor exactly the same thing that happened with your raptor. Check the carbuerator solenoid my tractor was sitting for a while so it was gummed up. (i never heard of a carbuerator solenoid before i had this problem) i just cleaned it out and that baby started right up! but if that doesn't work i hope you fix it.

-Good Luck!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ridindirty92
this happend with my tractor exactly the same thing that happened with your raptor. Check the carbuerator solenoid my tractor was sitting for a while so it was gummed up. (i never heard of a carbuerator solenoid before i had this problem) i just cleaned it out and that baby started right up! but if that doesn't work i hope you fix it.

-Good Luck!!!
Are you talking about the anti-afterfire solenoid on lawn/garden tractors? I just bypassed the one on my father's lawn tractor, used a regular bowl nut $3 vs. $40 for a new solenoid, lol.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

im 99% sure the problem is with the stator/pickup coil

went to the dealership, they wanted $230 for a new one

got a used one in excellent condition from an 03 raptor 660 for $9.99 + 8.50 s/h off ebay! SCORE!

anyone replaced the stator, is there a write up anywhere?

Quick Reply: Raptor 660 wont start