Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 660 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 660 wont start

So I took my quad to Glamis a couple weeks ago. Rode it around for about a day, took it up and down oldsmobile a couple times, and then turned it off at the bottom to watch everyone else. thats where my problems begin. since then i havent been able to get it started. it just wont turn over. I replaced the inline fuel filter last night, did nothing. Replaced the spark plug today, the old one was really black, but even with the new one, it just wont start. i didnt gap it, but will that make a difference?

im not sure what is wrong...anyone care to chime in with any ideas?

Old 11-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

You say it wont turn over. That to me means the engine is not cranking while you're pushing the starter button. If that's the case then your spark plug and fuel filter has nothing to do with it. I would suspect a faulty battery at that point.

If it does crank (turn over) then take the plug out (leave the plug cap on) and ground the plug to the side of the motor.....then hit the starter button and see if you have spark.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Rich807
You say it wont turn over. That to me means the engine is not cranking while you're pushing the starter button. If that's the case then your spark plug and fuel filter has nothing to do with it. I would suspect a faulty battery at that point.

If it does crank (turn over) then take the plug out (leave the plug cap on) and ground the plug to the side of the motor.....then hit the starter button and see if you have spark.
oops, should have been more clear...

it does crank, but just wont start.

i took the plug out with the cap on, and grounded it and im not seeing any spark. where should i look from here?

Old 11-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

okay, maybe im not doing it right... i took the plug out and left the cap on, put the end part (very bottom) against the motor, and i get nothing. for just a few moments i did see a couple sparks, as i was pulling it away from the motor. also i zapped the crap out of myself somehow just once. i am thinking its getting spark, but i cant get it to spark consistantly, each time it seemed like a fluke. any way to tell for sure? as soon as i put it against the motor and hit the starter button, i should see spark each time, right?

Old 11-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

ttt

Old 11-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes it should spark consistently. It's possible your valves need adjusted. If the intake valves are too tight it won't start. If your plug is black it is getting too much fuel. The plug should be a light tan.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

how can i tell if the intake valves are too tight?

Old 11-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Heres is a real good write up with pictures to help you.

http://www.raptortranny.com/index.ph...d=33&Itemid=35

Old 11-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

You need to properly gap the plug and for that matter, have the right plug. Pull the plug and gap it.

NGK plug: DPR8EA-9 gapped 0.8-0.9mm (.03" - ".04"). If you are a half a$$ about maintenance, you are going to run into a bunch of problems with your quad. Get yourself a manual and make your life easier by following directions.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

it is the right plug, but i dont have the tool here to gap it, so i figured id throw it in and see if anything happens. ill get the right tool tomorrow probably.

i got some energy tonight so i pulled off the front plastics and gas tank, i figure i should clean the carb out while im working on the bike. quick question before i pull the carb, there is a hose connected in the middle of the carb, whrere does this run to?? i didnt see where it went and its just hangning out now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

any tips to pulling the carbs, or cleaning/maintaining for that matter? im going to do it when its not so late so i can have some sunlight.

also, i noticed the left rubber boot (looking from back to front) that goes from the carb to the airbox was off a little at the carb side, i did get that seated better and retightened. could that have caused the problem? guess i need to hook the gas tank back up and find out?

Quick Reply: Raptor 660 wont start