Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tricks for removing stuck axle nuts

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricks for removing stuck axle nuts

I gotta replace the axle bearings on my warrior, and I can't, no matter what I try, get the axle nuts to loosen up. I've tried everything I can think of. Any combination you can think of involving an 18" wrench, pounding on it with a sledge, hammer and chisel direcly on the nuts, soaking it with pb blaster, heating it up with a torch. All while my dad (230 lbs) is sitting on the seat holding the brake pedal down. He's sitting all the way back on the seat, and i'm still lifting up the whole rear end pulling on that wrench. Any other ideas?

Old 11-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

I know you prob looked..somtimes on diffent quads there are little alen head screws in the lock nuts..If that is not the case...take your pipe wrench or what ever you are useing to try to get them off..(make sure you just try to take one off at a time) ok put your wrench on there..and find you a cheeter pipe..something you can slip over your wrench to give you more leverage...Being your changing the bearing..heat the He!! out the the nuts...they should come...But if they dont..you may have to cut them off..and get new ones...

Old 11-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There's definitely no set screws, this is the 2nd time i've had to replace these bearings, so I know how everything is supposed to work. But as we all know, whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

I didn't heat the nuts up too hot, i'm worried about getting the axle heated up too much and weakening it. I'm going to let it soak in pb blaster overnight and maybe i'll have something to work with tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

turn the nut the other way! just kidding, i would try an air wrench

Old 11-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

i would try an air wrench
Now how are you going to get a air wrench on a axle nut..

Old 11-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Range Rover

i used pb blaster at work and in the times i'v used it i noticed it makes the metal soft. if it were me i'd wd-40 the heck out of it. and do as driverdoyle said heat it up good and pipe wrench it. either way you should probably get another nut/jamb nut.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

oh boy, thanks driver doyle, i indeed made a pritty dumb comment. i was thinking the completely wrong thing. now that i know what nut i am suppose to be thinking of, i would say get a pipe wrench on it, and then get a regular box wrench and use it for leverage. that will usually crack anything loose

Old 11-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

oh boy, thanks driver doyle, i indeed made a pritty dumb comment. i was thinking the completely wrong thing. now that i know what nut i am suppose to be thinking of, i would say get a pipe wrench on it, and then get a regular box wrench and use it for leverage. that will usually crack anything loose

It happens to the best of us...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2006, 04:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't think leverage is the problem. I'm not using a pipe wrench, I have an adjustable that fits, and won't chew it all up like pipe wrenches do. But I had enough leverage on there to lift the rear end off the ground with a 230lb person sitting on the back of the seat.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well recon i really dont know then...When you done it the first time did you put anything on the threads to keep if from rusting up on the nuts?

Being im in the heart of the oil feild i do things a little diffent..like when i get bearing..i go to a oil feild suppily store..with my old bearings and they will match them up to some that go on pumping units..and i give around 3 dollars a bearing...and there the same thing..and work just as well...

Like last time i put axel nuts on..i put pipe dope on the threads...Pipe dope is some stuff we use down here for making up oil feild conetions....and it keeps them from rusting..and when you want to come off with it..its comes right off..

Quick Reply: Tricks for removing stuck axle nuts