Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine front suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wolverine front suspension?

So I am tackleing replacing my front bearings and I have some questions.

Can someone explain how I get the bearings out? Can I drive them all the way through, or is there a solid ring that the spacer sits in that will prevent this?

Can I replace the rubber boots on my ball joints? I know that the arms have to be replaced if th ejoints are bad however, my joints are in great condition, but the boots are ripped. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Bump.

Anybody? I can not be the first one to tear a boot?

Old 12-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

So nobody has done the front bearing replacment?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only done this on Hondas 4x4s before.. The bearing was so shot that I had to take the whole spindle off the a-arms and put it in a vice with a large socket to press the bearing out. I used hardwood to space it out so there was room for the bearing to push out. Heating the spindle around the bearing helps with pressing it out. As long as you press the bearing out to the side without the ridge, it should push right out. Be careful though, you never want to get the bearing stuck from pressing it uneven. Always apply the preasure on the outside ring of the bearing if you can. Just take a close look at it.. in amost all cases there ridge the bearing is resting up to, you just have to press it out the other direction. The hondas I did had a single large bearing. If you have two bearings with a spacer in the middle, you sometimes have no choice but to use a drift/flat punch to pound on the inner race of the bearing. The spacer should move around enough to let you do this. You can then use a large socket to install the new bearings.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply, that is the trouble I am facing, I am supposed to drive from the opposite side (only on the outer race) but I can barely get a drift on the inner race. The local Yamaha dealer quated me $65 to take them out for me. I am wondering if I should save myself a headache and let them do it. I just like doing things myself.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Yamaha service manual itself says you have to hit it on the inner race to remove it, so it should be alright.. maybe the press fit isn't as bad on them. Once you remove one bearing you have a lot more room to access the 2nd one so I would give it a try. Just try to do it slowly and evenly.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

I will let you know how it goes for me. My manual says not to hit the inner race? I will have to re-read and see if I read it wrong.

Thanks for the tips.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well the bearings came out fairly easy once I started hitting the inner race between the bearing and spacer. I have another question now.

The manual says if the spindle is pitted it should be replaced. Is this really required? I cleaned them up with some 400 grit and they seem fairly smooth and are not pitted or gouged (sp?) where the inner and outer seals press in. So since the bearing's outer race is pressed in with the new bearig assembly, why do the spindles need replacing if pitted?

Also, the Pivot Works bearing kit I purchased two different seals in it, two of them have a flared lip that protrudes out. I assume one for outside and one for inside. Can some one tell me which one goes where?

Old 01-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well I cleaned the spindles/Hub up with some 400 grit and will press the new bearings in over the minor pits. I still have not found replacement boots for my ball joints but the search goes on and I think I may have found something.

Turns out the front U-joint on the front drive shaft is what was making all the racket. Took it out and it was trashed! need to get a price from the dealer to see if I shoul buy off Ebay. Ebay has one complete with a grease zerk for $25.

I will keep you guys posted on the ball joint boots.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can help, you dont have to replace the spindle just because it has some minor pitting, they say this just so you will buy a part from them(that's what Marketing is all about). As for the seals..the spring side of the seals always goes to the bushing side. Make sure you put some grease on the inner lips of the seals so it will keep water out. I removed my spindle all together to get the bearings out, made it alot easier, I just put it in a vise and drove out the bearings. Dont forget the small o-ring before you install the hub back on the axle shaft. These ball joints/control arms are a bad design IMO they should sell them seperate but you cant buy them, I have to replace one of mine soon but I have to buy the whole assembly.

Any other problems, just ask.

Quick Reply: Wolverine front suspension?