Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is the Raptor really better than the Banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont own either machine, never ridden a raptor. just wondering what your opinions are in case i buy another sport machine.

Old 12-12-2000, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Oh man, you're asking for a civil war aren't you.
See my signature line, I've had both.

For wide open, ***** to the wall, rippin' and rompin' riding only, the Banshee does a superb job. It works best in wide open country, but does a marginal job in the woods. Still okay though if you are riding hard the entire time. Also, it doesn't take a ton of money to make it even faster.

On the other hand, if you want a more versatile quad, the Raptor is the way to go. In stock form it is faster than a stock Banshee and in drags, it is has been reported (myself included) to beat mildly modified Banshees with pipes, reeds and coolhead. The Raptor doesn't "feel" as fast as the Banshee because the power is so linear across the RPM range instead of having a "2-stroke hit" in just part of the RPM range. The smooth and linear power makes it super for woods riding in addition to just about any other kind. Also, there are some very promising reports of the Raptor's "hop-up" potential.

That's a run down of the power delivery. On the suspension and handling, there are also pros and cons. Overall, the frame geometry on the Raptor is more akin to what you would find on an aftermarket type frame giving it better handling. The Raptor's rear swingarm seems to be shorter than on the Banshee, so you get better traction but have a harder time keeping the front end down. Depending on your type of riding, this could be good or bad. The lack of traction allows you to slide the back end of the Banshee around better.

As far as dependability, it's still up in the air on the Raptor. There have been reports, although not widespread of the A-arms bending and the rear axles bending. However, you must keep in mind that the Raptor uses the same axle as the Banshee, so it could be that in MX type situations, people are pushing their Raptor harder. As far as the actual drivetrain, the 2-stroke Banshee does require periodic and more frequent maintenance, but can still be reliable. However, Banshee's do run hot and usually require additional cooling requirements once you modify them. The Raptor seems to have the cooling system worked out very well and it's rare that you will ever even hear the fan kick on (something the Banshee doesn't have).

As far as items to make life a little easier, the Raptor wins hands down. Electric start and reverse come in really handy.

Wow, this was longer than I meant for it to be, but hopefully I gave a fair review and didn't step on any toes.

Old 12-12-2000, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, it depends what kind of riding you do. I work at bakersfield yamaha and we have had a couple of raptors in already. if you are doing mostly woods riding then get the raptor. if you are going to be doing track and dunes get the banshee. personally i prefer the banshee because i do alot of mx and dunes.

Old 12-12-2000, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well i own a Raptor.I am one of those guys who actually beat a modified 2000 banshee in a several drags. We then switched bikes and when i rode the banshee it felt really fast..but it felt like a fast HOUSE!! really square evrything vibrating, noisy as hell..i could hear the wheels spinning without hooking up.. i liked the power but evrything else felt really weird and outdated to me. I jumped backon the raptor and i wwas like "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
I guess its what yor prefer..I love my raptor

2001 blue raptor
past bikes
trx250r
Lt250r 1987
lt250r 1989

Old 12-12-2000, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

True, whjat he said Raptor feels so much better. I love mine.

Old 12-12-2000, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

the raptor wins hands down.
I had to rebuild my banshee's top-end this past weekend because of another burnt piston. I removed all the aftermarket parts (pipes;head;boost bottle;rad valves) and made it stock exept for the prodesign filter.It is officialy my wife's bike know.
My raptor runs with modified banshees and all i did to the raptor is Kitima slip-on silencer ; removed snorkel ; 10 3/4" holes in airboxlid and rejetted to 145 left + 150 right.
ps--- I got all my PRM goodies

Paul

Old 12-12-2000, 09:19 PM
Range Rover

Nothing in production screams like a Banshee. Not even the Raptor! If your main goal is open country when you can run it, like you stole it, the Banshee is the thrill machine. If you ride mainly on trails where you need torque a Raptor will blown your mind away in stock trim.

j/t
01 Raptor Blk/White

Old 12-12-2000, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

I mainly will be riding on gravel roads,rock pits,fields, and very few trails.
I feel that the banshee will do great in all situations even the trails because they aren't very tight. And i figure it can't be all REAL hard to ride a banshee on trails anyway.

Old 12-12-2000, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

i guess all the articles on the raptor,ds,ex,banshee and all teh tests i have arent true then when they compare time and time again and the raptor smokes em all. i say ride any bike you want, and color, and in the end the best rider will win!!!!!

wnyma motocrosser
blue raptor

Old 12-13-2000, 01:32 AM
Range Rover

Well I think Bash said it best, but I just wanted to add a few comments. I have a Banshee and I ride with a guy who has a Raptor. I like the Banshee alot better than the Raptor. It feels quicker, and has a ton of after-market goodies. So after my friend got used to riding his Raptor we switched quads and he rode mine for awhile. He said my bike felt like it was ten years old compared to his. I felt like the Raptor sat to high, and was way to stiff. Plus we raced uphill and he could not change to 3rd gear without it bogging, and I could get into 4th, So yes I one the race (once with stock tires and a couple times with paddles). We drag raced on the cement and it was pretty even, until top end and I was able to beat him. In all fairness though, his Raptor is completely stock and I have FMF pipes, Filter and a cool head, so I was pretty impressed that he was even able to keep up. We ride in the woods and the Raptor has way more tourque and is much easier to ride. The Banshee requires alot more shifting and beats the heck out of you. But hey I love it, and really it's all personal choice. Good luck if you happen to buy either one. Later.

Quick Reply: Is the Raptor really better than the Banshee?