Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

FMF repacking

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMF repacking

I have a FMF Megamax on my Wolvy that needs to be repacked. The last time I did this it was a pain in the butt. I know the screws that hold the end cap and disks are seized solid and will either break or twist off the internal nuts when I put a wrench to them. Any tips??? Any advice on a reasonably quiet, better designed muffler.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default FMF repacking

I guess you could try the old heat (propane torch) and/or penetrating oil tricks, but if the screws are truly seized they will probably still break off. You probably should have used anti-seize on those screws the last time you had it apart. I know hindsight is 20/20, I just couldn't help myself. If you are thinking of replacing the slip-on all together, I would recommend the White Brothers E2 as a possibility. Very mellow sound with the quiet core installed, and a nice bark (but still not obnoxious) with it out. I little more pricey than an HMF, but the quality is much higher with the E2 and the quiet core comes standard with the pipe and is included in the price. Pics of the E2 on my Wolverine are in my gallery...

Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Range Rover
Default FMF repacking

Heat and penetrating oil don't work as the nuts are hidden down inside the silencer. I did use anti-seize on the screws but I guess I need some sort of high-temp anti-seize because they seize anyway. That E2 looks pretty good. How's the performance with hte queit core in. It looks like it would have the same problem with the disk-holding screws seizing.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default FMF repacking

The E2 seems to offer a little bump in performance in the low and midrange, and little or nothing on the top (butt dyno). My top speed remains the same, I just get there a little quicker. Other than to check the sound (once), I only run it with the quiet core in. Personally, I don't like really loud pipes, and I know my neighbors probably feel the same way. There are no discs in the E2...

Old 12-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default FMF repacking

Originally posted by: wolverine68
I have a FMF Megamax on my Wolvy that needs to be repacked. The last time I did this it was a pain in the butt. I know the screws that hold the end cap and disks are seized solid and will either break or twist off the internal nuts when I put a wrench to them. Any tips??? Any advice on a reasonably quiet, better designed muffler.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I had a megamax 2 on my recon. Same crap happened. I'll never buy another FMF silencer again, what a stupid design that was. Steel nuts welded inside the body, apparently with little weak booger welds, but stainless screws. I never did get mine apart. I think you'd have to drill the head off each screw, and that'll be tons of fun with those stainless steel allen heads, and no flat surface to clamp pliers on to keep them from spinning.

I'd suggest getting an HMF, Big Gun, or Yoshimura, with quiet cores to keep the noise level down some. Something with an open end, and rivets holding the can together, so you don't have to deal with that crap again when the time comes to repack it.