Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Blaster Amp up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Blaster Amp up

Ok i have a 1989 Yamaha blaster and i need more power.I have it ported and polished.....i am running a FMF pipe and silencer i neeed to know what are the first things i should do to get more power.I will be getting soon.
Vitos Fat Bastard Pipe and silencer
Boyesen Power reeds
....so i need to know with this stuff on here about what cc is this = to?and what else would you consider.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Trailblazer

keep the fmf... the vitos pipe is over rated.if you really want a diff pipe get a lrd "right side" pipe.
get a 30mm flatside carb
don`t get the boyesen get a v force3
grab a k&n with a outterwear and maybe look into a ehs racing airbox mod kit.
go to a 20 inch rear tire (or 18 if you take it to the mx track)
change your sprockets.
get a profire coil with hot wire.
ditch the oil injection unit if you haven`t allready....mix to 32:1 ratio.

that will get you all the "bolt on" power you can get.if you still want more you`ll have to do a rebuild and decide what mods to the motor you want done.
trenga racing has a 30hp cylinder they sell
or you can get the "firebreather" airsal cylinder from project blaster.
long rod cranks increase torque and are cheaper than stroker cranks.
stroker cranks increase displacement cc`s (3.5 cc`s per mm of stroke on a blaster)
degree keys advance timing to increase power some
shaving the head to increase compression makes more power.
there are 240cc big bore kits that make good power gains.

there are other options but if i wrote them all down my post would be a mile long.if you go with the "bolt on" mods you`ll get a noticable gain in power for the blaster.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Have you considered running alcohol instead of gas?All you need is a new carb and alot of compression.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

* FMF pipe and silencer
* Ported and polished
* K&N filter with outerwear
* Stock tires and paddle tires
* Stock pipe and silencer
* Stock heel guards
There is what it has on it.So what to Keep/Ditch?

Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I'd get a LRD, Dynoport, Project blaster pipe over the Vito's pipe. We really need to know your budget to make recommendations, plus what kind of riding you do. If your looking for cheap mods go with advanced timing, reed spacer, aftermarket reed pedals, a cheap carb would be a 28 mm from a 85 cc dirt bike. These mods would go well with your FMF pipe, and would provide good lowend and mid range power.

Also HotRods and Vito's are making drop in stroker cranks that are cheaper than a long rod kit. But they aren't exactly dropin. You have to rechamber the head, and they will run with your porting, but they would run alot better with modified porting.

Wheres Ellinwood , Ks. Where do you ride. Were trying to start a ATV club in Kansas, check out the link below Kansas City Offroad riders

Old 01-14-2007, 02:09 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Levimoody
* FMF pipe and silencer
* Ported and polished
* K&N filter with outerwear
* Stock tires and paddle tires
* Stock pipe and silencer
* Stock heel guards
There is what it has on it.So what to Keep/Ditch?

First off, a pipe. Where do you want your power the most? All pipes have power gain throughout your gearing...But they all have a specific range where you get more than others. If you want more low-mid range power, go with an FMF. If you want more mid-high range power, go with a Toomey. If you want, you can change your tires, though depending on how/where you ride, you probably dont need to, and it wont really give you much power..Just more grip and ish. Get Boyesen or V force reeds, I personally have Boyesen, and I like them, but I never have tried V force. You could also get a new carb. Mikunis are good. Depending on what all you get, the size you want will differ. The less you have the smaller you want ( if you dont have reeds and a pipe or more, dont bother getting one, you'll be fine with stock ). You can also change your sprocket sizes, and get an aftermarket ignition. ( that won't get you much more power, but it will gain something. )

Theres always more stuff you can add..but theres a good list.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Trailblazer

keep your fmf for now...the others pipes will not give you that much more of a power gain to justify buying a new pipe combo.skip this one till the pipe you have now needs replaced.

get the v-force3 reeds...they will give a better throttle response than the boyesen reeds will.if you want to go the cheap route and get the same kind of power as the v-force reeds get a set of aktive reeds from trenga racing.they mount onto your existing reed cage and preform just fine.not only that but with the aktive you can use a reed spacer to help your mid range power too.if you get the vf3 reeds you have to modify it the fit a reed spacer if you want to run one with the vf3 reed cage.

get a 30mm carb..this is the best carb you can get for a stock bore blaster....period.

get a ehs racing airbox mod kit.has a trick look and helps keep dirt/dust out while letting air flow in.

finally get a profire coil with a hotwire.increased spark= increased fuel efficency thus more power.plus it makes cold starts so much easier.

here is what your looking at as far as how much this stuff costs.(not exact prices but they are close)

v-force3 reeds= $135....or (rockymountainatv.com)
aktive racing reeds= $60 (trengaracing.com)
reed spacer= $30 (all websites listed in this post sell these)
30mm flatside carb= $170 bucks (trengaracing.com or projectblaster.com)
ehs airbox mod kit= $50 (ehsracing.com)
pro fire coil and hot wire=$180 (trengaracing.com)

those four mods will create ALOT more power than what you have now.as for right now don`t waste $300 or more on another pipe combo because fmf makes a decent exhaust.it may not be the "best" but it will get the job done.as for strokers....anything past 3mm will need the inside of the cases to be machined.by going with a stroker crank you will be changing the whole characteristics of the the engines design.i don`t recomend doing this unless you are wanting a serious power increase.get those 4 mods above and you should be happy for now.get them in this order...
1.reeds.
2.carb--->if you get from trenga they will jet it for you to where you live.
3. coil and wire.
4.airbox lid mod.--->just run without a lid until you can get this.